Brewhaha vs. Brau Supply

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Black

Reaction score
[EDIT TITLE for Brewha... dang it...]

Hi all,
I am curious if anyone can shed light on differences between these two companies and lines of products.

I had a mini-unibrau several years ago as I got introduced into eBIAB - it worked fine for what it was. The metal was thin, there was some leaking around some of the washers and fittings, and the in-line temp was not accurate. But I managed it and enjoyed using it.

Fast forward 3-years and there have been leaps and bounds in eBIAB! Many more players in the field and a much broader range of products. Slick baskets, whirlpools, better integrated recirculation systems.

As I get back into brewing, I want to maximize my investment and am intrigued by the Unibrau Unitank Pro and the Brewha Microbrewery. But what is the difference??? Both claim to be the first to have this design, etc etc.

I know there are some strong opinions regarding Brau Supply (I've had good experiences) but Ive seen less on Brewha. Can anyone differentiate them for me?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Big difference between the 2 is that I think you can only force carbonate in the Brau supply unitank pro

I can't tell you the difference on those products, but it seems that Unibrau has come a long way since that Unibrau mini. I hope that I have no problems, I ordered the Unibrau All in One BIAB unit. Black Friday sale, they got it out in a reasonable amount of time. Not to get it to Florida from Canada.....

It’s just annoying that Unibrau doesnt put out more videos of it in action. Their marketing is horrible they need to get a couple of them out there to some YouTube channels to review.

It’s just annoying that Unibrau doesnt put out more videos of it in action. Their marketing is horrible they need to get a couple of them out there to some YouTube channels to review.

It passes the eyeball test for sure, except for the controller. Doesnt seem to get any love though.

If you think their marketing is horrible just wait until you need some product support.

Brau supply apparently has a totally new unitank coming out in the spring, can’t wait.

This is what I know and Im not trying to put any positive or negative spins on it. Heres a breakdown and my personal take on both.

Both lines of products consist of oversea made kettles/ tanks. Both companies are very small. They are very likely assembled by these companies in likely a small rented warehouse or garage and sold. Each company has designed their own variant and had a manufacturer (likely from alibaba) make the kettles and if they sell controllers they are likely assembling themselves. Because the company is so small and your likely going to deal directly with the owner your likely to get better customer service than larger.

Last I checked the controllers are technically DIY because they carry no electrical safety certifications that any legit electrical device you would normally (legally) find for sale commercially.. (Brau is a canadian company which last I checked only markets to the US which in its self is odd) That said most of the homebrewing electronic controls fall into this exact category and there should be no issue with it except when you take cost into consideration. Most electronics owe a good portion of thier cost to product testing (UL ,ETL or CE certification.) Since these do not have any, the only cost involved is assembly and hardware as well as packaging and shipping.. That said lets look into what the cost breakdown is to build an exact replica of the current EZboil unibrau controller,
This is a complete list of the hardware,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Alum...353904?hash=item3a666a6cf0:g:fhQAAOSwX8NakC-9

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SS-7B-PANE...979910?hash=item3aca7839c6:g:jRAAAOSw65FXtgUh

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-125V-15...369954&hash=item35d8812f17:g:I98AAOSwW6xdghuN

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HQ-3-Conta...788763?hash=item464bb3da5b:g:DzgAAOSwGYVXANu2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x-Mini-Rocker-Switch-Round-Black-2-Pin-SPST-Power-ON-OFF-12V-110V-220V/362785063339?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=60695&meid=710e8e239be0441d8a2f789bee18cf68&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=12&mehot=pf&sd=174129764210&itm=362785063339&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof...hash=item3afe8a6b9c:m:mTTq-5qwPOpefFX7RqAmjMg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof...hash=item3afe8a6b9c:m:mTTq-5qwPOpefFX7RqAmjMg

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_30&products_id=9

Keep in mind unbraus prices would be lower due to volume but even at retail your looking at $90-100 in hardware and about $200 labor to assemble (1 to 2 hrs labor max including cutting the enclosure holes) If your comfortable with that Great. Either way it doesnt hurt to be more informed about what your looking at buying and how things break down.

The Brewha controller uses the cheaper $35 auber controller but slightly more expensive case and element power outlet due to higher voltage.. other components are similiar. there more expensive unit is likely plc or raspberry pie/ arduino based.. unlike brau these controllers however are built by a third party company and have actual UL listed certification.(if your worried about your homeowner insurance denying a claim from any possible but very unlikely fire damage as a result... that said the 8 gallon brewha system can honestly be built and the kettles ordered from alibaba or you could very likely have custom kettles built by contacting a supplier on alibaba and order a sample for much less.. I would say you could built a replica for under a grand this way vs the $3,300 pricetag which seems nut to me but I know having a for profit private company such as the Underwriters lab sign off on your design is not cheap. Again if this is no Concern great, your doing better than most..

I bet at this point you can find pictures of these exact kettles on alibaba from the suppliers looking for more buyers. for about $3-400.. Thats how I found the $75 tri clamp based ripple elements for $16 that I ordered or the 3BBL kettles from the manufacturer stout buys from for literally half the cost shipped with customs.

Id guess this is the supplier of these kettles/conicals.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...l?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.14.d7aa38f5n8epbz

Last edited:
From the pictures on the website, it appears to be a new jacketed system. I have a Unibrau Pro that uses the internal cooling coil.

I have the Unibrau V3 and have been pleased with the system and the customer support. No experience with the Brouhaha so can't compare.

The Unibrau is basically, the brew system without the fermenter. I believe the grain basket is the same and the RIMS system is the same. I use 2 heating elements 1650w and 600w on different circuits at 120v. The controller works well and lets you set the parameters for heating or cooling. I added a glycol chiller because in summer months the local water supply is too high for keeping fermentation temps in a good range. Brewha has a jacketed conical, and I think the new Unibrau has that, but I have a coil chiller. Although I have annoyed Stephen at Brau Suppy, we have not discussed this. The grain basket for the 5 gallon system holds a max about 18 pounds, despite the 20 pounds claimed. But, this is much higher than the small Brewha setup which is on of the reasons that I went with the Unibrau. The small Unibrau pro is more comparable to the medium Brewha BIAC. You could definitely piece this system together, but, I'm not convinced that it would be worth the effort. Between shipping costs and communicating with Alibaba, which I do, there is a definite hassle factor. You would have to know exactly what you wanted and if it would work with the other parts that you ordered. My system did forget to send the heating element, and I got one off of Amazon. But, I knew exactly what I needed and that it would work. I have no experience with Brewha either, but the systems are very similar.

So, back to the original questions, my Unibrau is a Unitank. I don't force carbonate in it, I do that in the keg. I do pressurized transfers. I think that I got a Unitank during a transition period for Unibrau and I got it for the price of just a Unibrau Pro, so under $3k. It looks like the new version is more like Brewha with a jacketed fermenter, although, I can't confirm that. I would be happy to answer any questions about brewing with it. I've been doing that for over a year now. I'm entering into the National Homebrew competition this year, and I think that I have a good product to present. This system, with Brewha, or Unibrau, is so much better than the stovetop, guess the temperatures, transfer it to the carboy, wait for the temperature to drop, put the yeast in a day later and bottle with all the cleaning. I've done all that before, and this is better. If you have space and money, the 3 vessel system and a fermenter may be better, if you like cleaning. But this has been awesome.

Back