Brewery Hype/Supply and Demand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is trading beer 'more than likely illegal'?

Well for starters there is no age verification. So you could be potentially shipping beer to a minor. Breweries/wineries have to have some sort of age verification before the beer/wine can be dropped off.
Next...you can call it trading but it is really bartering. Unless there is some sort of exemption for "like products"? If I can barter/trade beer for beer why can't I trade beer for any other products/money? Of course that would require licensing.
Don't get me wrong....I am all for beer trading but let's not think it's legal.

I'm sure it will be. Just wait til their expansion is done and we get the old "its not as good as it used to be" tsunami of comments on here

So true Cali! I feel like Shaun would never let out stuff that isn't up to his standards, but you know they'll be some people out there trying to be a wet blanket.

I think he's doubling his production? I can't remember to how many bbl/year...maybe 3,000 now?

At any rate, it's still extremely small, and I'm sure he knows his limits as far as what he can handle on his own.

Let's hope this increases his circle of distribution slightly, so you don't have to drive too far to get a pint of Edward on tap.

Couple of notes regarding russian river and scarcity marketing.

Right now they are upgrading their 50 bbl brewhouse to... a nicer 50bbl brewhouse. So it appears they are not trying to increase capacity to meet the demand that currently exists for their beers.

While they are upgrading right now, Firestone Walker is currently brewing Pliny the Elder for them. They seem to be keeping Pliny in as short supply as ever, even though they could significantly increase production without any difficulty.

So it seems to me Russian River definitely could better meet demand and expand production if they wanted to, but they continue to keep their beer scarce and hyped mainly for marketing purposes.

Its nice to get a beer from a well known brewery that kicks ass but there are local breweries that need loving too. Three in central Wisconsin I love are Central Waters, Oso Brewery and Blue Harron Brew Pub. At the Oso tap house, Funky Lady sour ale blew me away. If you are in the Plover/Steven's Point area you gotta try it.

Thought I'd add this to the conversation:

Was at the new Surly brewery taproom grand opening last night. Both myself and my brother found it quite odd and a little annoying that they funneled everyone into two different lines to purchase beers, even though there is a large size bar. The lines were both very slow moving, so it was a half hour wait to get a beer. We just thought it could have easily been handled in many other ways in order to reduce the time required to stand in line. I speculate that that was precisely their plan: that this was their marketing dept at work again with a plan to create more hype by purposely getting people into long lines. On the one hand I can't blame them, it works. On the other hand I just get annoyed knowing I'm being manipulated and inconvenienced.

Then again no one made me go, it was my choice to go stand in line for half an hour.

Right now they are upgrading their 50 bbl brewhouse to... a nicer 50bbl brewhouse. So it appears they are not trying to increase capacity to meet the demand that currently exists for their beers.

While they are upgrading right now, Firestone Walker is currently brewing Pliny the Elder for them. They seem to be keeping Pliny in as short supply as ever, even though they could significantly increase production without any difficulty.

Was just there on Friday and was told this as well; however, the guy I talked to said that they haven't dialed Pliny in yet using the FW system yet. From what he said, I got the impression they were still in the experimental phase of developing more production for Pliny.

Cheers,
--
Don

Was just there on Friday and was told this as well; however, the guy I talked to said that they haven't dialed Pliny in yet using the FW system yet. From what he said, I got the impression they were still in the experimental phase of developing more production for Pliny.

Cheers,
--
Don

I don't believe this is a permanent arrangement at all.

Latest posts

Back