Brewers best

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalltownbrewer

Reaction score
I recently made a Brewers Best amber ale, and recently rack into a secondary fermenter. This is my first Brewers best kit, does anyone else do a secondary with BB kits and did they turn out well.

FYI, this post belongs in the fermentation section (or beginning brewers/extract sections I suppose).

FWIW, most people around here stopped using (or never used) secondaries unless they have a good reason to. Adding fruit or a massive amount of dry hops are the main reasons. It's not going to hurt your beer, but it also doesn't make a huge difference in most cases these days.

afr0byte said:
FYI, this post belongs in the fermentation section (or beginning brewers/extract sections I suppose).

FYI, you could also answer his question. That'd be nice.

smalltownbrewer said:
I recently made a Brewers Best amber ale, and recently rack into a secondary fermenter. This is my first Brewers best kit, does anyone else do a secondary with BB kits and did they turn out well.

Basically what IffyG said. I have two beers going now that have been in the primary for two and three months. I'm going to keg one and bottle the other this week. They are big beers so its a bit different from a BB Amber ale, but you get the point. You can make great beer either way.

To the OP. Regardless of whether you decide to secondary, I wouldn't suggest leaving your beer in the primary for 2 or 3 months. Regardless of the gravity of the beer (with the exception, maybe, of something like a 120 minute clone), it's going to be ready to bottle within a month. It may still taste better after some aging in the keg/bottle, but it'll be ready for bottling/kegging within a month.

afr0byte said:
To the OP. Regardless of whether you decide to secondary, I wouldn't suggest leaving your beer in the primary for 2 or 3 months. Regardless of the gravity of the beer (with the exception, maybe, of something like a 120 minute clone), it's going to be ready to bottle within a month. It may still taste better after some aging in the keg/bottle, but it'll be ready for bottling/kegging within a month.

Agreed. I usually shoot for a three to four week primary. The point is 2 months isn't going to hurt it.

Latest posts

Back