Brewer's Best double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugEyedValiant

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently brewed the BB double ipa. Followed the recipe as close as I could. It tastes great with no real complaints, but I want to add some hop flavor and aroma to make it more to what I want. I'm not sure if I should look to add late boiling hops or dry hop it? I hope I am explaining it clearly. The BB kit is balanced for bitterness, but missing the taste/aroma of hops.

Hello.

The beer will benefit from both late additions to the boil and flameout/whirlpool, along with a healthy dose of dry hopping.

It sounds like you have already brewed it, so if you are looking for more hop aroma, you need to dry hop.

At least 3-4 oz for 3-5 days should do the trick. If you are kegging or bottling, you can dry hop right before this. It will ensure you get the most aroma in the keg/bottle.

does the recipe not call for dry hopping ? I'm going to buy this kit this and brew it up this weekend. If it doesn't call for dry hopping did you end up dry hopping ? i was thinking of adding some grapefruit peels to secondary for some citrus flavor. Also a newbie question.. when dry hopping this is done in secondary right? its okay to take the bubbler and bung off to dry ??

I did not dry hop that kit, it was one of my first brews and it did not call for a dry hop. I did brew the BB Imperial Pale Ale and I did dry hop it with great results. My advice to you is grab some extra hops, and do a dry hop in primary after about 2 weeks then bottle after another week. I wouldn't do a secondary.

Back