Brew stand material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopbrad

Reaction score
What is the best material for a custom brew stand? It will need to support two 65 gallon kettles and will be brewed on about 2x per week in a hot humid climate. Looking for the best! I have a 44 tip jet burner going under each pot.

Researching I've found steel box tubing that is then powder coated and Stainless steel box tubing. Pros and cons of these, anything else? Size of the box tubing? Multiple suggestions would be great as certain materials are harder to come by then others.

Also looking for recommendations for space between the kettle and burner.

Thanks!

I used strut from strutchannelfittings.com. Mine was precut and you can buy all manner of connectors for it so it took less than an hour to build the structure not including mounting the gas lines, burners, and gas valves. I think I spent about $225 in total but I ended up with some extra pieces so I probably could have saved 5%-10% off what I spent if I'd planned better.
IjKaR1p.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure how a two vessel rig works but taking a SWAG that there'll be at least 50 gallons of fluid involved plus a pair of hefty kettles you're looking at 500+.
For sure box tubing, likely 2"x2" 12 gauge or beefier with a sturdy design.

Given the option I'd go with stainless for ease of maintenance vs painting or powder coating, especially if this is a commercial endeavor.
But if one is determined to go with paint/coating, stainless pot rests with integrated heat shields/wind screens can greatly cut down on the touch-up frequency.

The 44 tip jet burners are waaaaay out of my league (and likely everyone else on HBT ;)), can't help there...

Cheers!

Not sure how a two vessel rig works but taking a SWAG that there'll be at least 50 gallons of fluid involved plus a pair of hefty kettles you're looking at 500+.
For sure box tubing, likely 2"x2" 12 gauge or beefier with a sturdy design.

Given the option I'd go with stainless for ease of maintenance vs painting or powder coating, especially if this is a commercial endeavor.
But if one is determined to go with paint/coating, stainless pot rests with integrated heat shields/wind screens can greatly cut down on the touch-up frequency.

The 44 tip jet burners are waaaaay out of my league (and likely everyone else on HBT ;)), can't help there...

Cheers!

Nice, thanks for info on the box tubing sizing.

The stand is for 2 of the vessels, Hot water and boil kettle. The mash tun will be stand alone. And I have a separate blichmann burner for backup, heating up water, double brews, etc.

Back