Brew pot valve sizing questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamnich314

Reaction score
I'm planning on getting a 9-gallon brew pot with one welded 1/2" female coupling. I know I will need a few more parts to complete it but I want to make sure I get the right size for every piece.

Hex nipple - 1/2"
SS ball valve - 1/2"
Hose barb - 1/2" male end, 3/8" barb end (for 3/8" hose)

that should be it. I just got a 9 gallon 1 weld pot from homebrewing.org and that's all I needed. You can get a bazooka tube for the inside if you want but I skipped that since they get clogged if you use too many hops.

I would go with 1/2" hose. why bother with all that 1/2" stuff and then cause a bottle neck in the hose? its only about $0.20 a ft different.

I would go with 1/2" hose. why bother with all that 1/2" stuff and then cause a bottle neck in the hose? its only about $0.20 a ft different.

Actually, I won't even be using a tube during the wort transfer. I don't technically need the hose barb but it should help control the wort flow.

Actually, I won't even be using a tube during the wort transfer. I don't technically need the hose barb but it should help control the wort flow.

No, you're going to need that hose on there. The end of the hose needs to be lower than the bottom of the pot, or else you'll lose suction and you won't be able to completely empty the pot.

Definitely avoid the 3/8" hose stuff and go with the 1/2".

No, you're going to need that hose on there. The end of the hose needs to be lower than the bottom of the pot, or else you'll lose suction and you won't be able to completely empty the pot.

Definitely avoid the 3/8" hose stuff and go with the 1/2".

Wouldn't having a pot on a burner on a stand with a fermenting bucket under the valve with a hose barb attached work?

Wouldn't having a pot on a burner on a stand with a fermenting bucket under the valve with a hose barb attached work?

Yes, not sure what hes talking about your not using a dip tube or anything and if you want all your wort you can just tip the pot forward.

I still say get some 1/2" ID silicone tubing.

Spend the extra few $$'s and you wont need to buy again. Every 3-4 months i take all my silicone tubing and stick it in my pot with boiling water and then pump boiling water through them.

That's not something you can or should do with vinyl tubing...

Back