brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillon

Reaction score
I'm sure this has already been posted but i couldn't find a link. does anyone have instructions on how to build my own brew kettle. something kinda like the mega pot with a false bottom and spout.

thanks, dillon

Yes - building it yourself is much cheaper, or at least allows you to get better quality for the same money.

If you want cheap, go with Aluminum kettles. That will save you a ton of money, they last a long time, and they are easier to customize than SS.

I highly recommend a sight glass as well as a spigot and false bottom. Nice thing is, you can always add one later.

Can I use a aluminum pot on a out door turkey fryer

Yep - most fryers i've bought come with aluminum pots. Works fine.

Just don't use aluminum if you build a brew stand that gets direct heat from the burners ... it doesn't hold up as well structurally when hot (unlike pots, which are fine).

Yes. A lot of turkey fryers come with AL pots. If you go to any restaurant, you'll see a ton of AL stockpots in use.

If you have cash available, I'd go SS.

If you're on a budget, I'd go AL.

I use AL for all my pots. All my hardware is SS.

It's not so much lack of money as it is a lack of skill and tools. I'd rather use cheaper materials incase I screw up. I'd just buy one already made but I'm looking for a project to do and something that will widen my skill set. Thanks everyone for the help by the way!

There used to be pretty big ss pots on amazon and ebay (name sounds like condor) for very cheap prices. They're thin, but may do what you want to do. If you have a friend in the restaurant business or have a business license / FEIN you might consider setting up an account to Restaurant Depot (if they're in your area). The warehouse store is closed to the public unfortunately, but if you have access to one their kitchen stuff is typically significantly cheaper than amazon or ebay (10-20% or more) and you don't have to pay shipping. You can also get giant cases of fruit there, plus meat to grill while you're brewing. You'll find really good aluminum pot options there - and stainless up to 40qt (from what i remember).

Back