Brew Kettle Pickup/return configuration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan567

Reaction score
So I got a 15 gal kettle for christmas :cool: and Im trying to figure out how I will configure the pickup and return tubes I got.

Here's what I was thinking:

I'm worried that the pickup tube will disturb the whirlpool and not allow me to get a nice trub cone in the center. I noticed the bottom port is pretty low so I might be better off just tipping the pot when the level gets low to get the last of the wort out. Thoughts?

Also, do you guys have your return tubes submerged? I'm worried this will disturb my whirlpool as well. I was thinking I would just install it high up and use a hose to guide the wort back in to the kettle without splashing.

What set ups work for you guys?

I think I have the same pot (Morebeer 15 gal) as you. I set up my whirlpool fittings pointing in opposite directions with the return located at around the 6 gal mark. Only done 1 brew session with it so far (black friday purchase), but whirlpooling worked pretty good! This is an IPA with 1/2 lb. of hops.

SDC10695.jpg

I would set my pickup tube to leave about a gallon or two in the bottom of your kettle. The trub "cone" tends to be soft and smushy, and will usually spread out to some degree. You can always tip your kettle to get more clear wort out at the end if you want. I wouldn't worry so much about your return placement, as long as it is below the level that you anticipate your wort will be at the end of the boil, it shouldn't matter IMHO.

I would rotate the pickup fiting 180 degrees so that it is oriented in the same direction as the recirculation fitting. I would also orient the pickup tube so that it would draw from the edge of the kettle. My thought is that the recirculation would not cause the trub to collect inside the pickup tube. Also, with recirculation, the trub would tend to collect in the center of the kettle, and you would be drawing from the edge of the kettle, hopefully keeping as much trub in the kettle as possible.

Back