Brew-in-a-bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGBPro

Reaction score
I have made several LME w/steeping grain batches with great success. I have used this method for 5 gallon batches with a 2.5 gallon boil due to my pot size. I am looking at buying a 8gallon kettle so i can do a full boil. I am also intrested in starting to gather gear to do all grain and ran across a boil-in-a-bag no sparge idea. has any one tried this with a 5 gallon batch? if so could you share your experience on how it worked for you. This seems like a way to save quite a bit of money, and time. Thanks for any response. Happing brewing!

I do it with 15 gallon batches, it's very easy and produces good beer.

Check out www.biabrewer.info for all the information on it that you could need.

You have to sign up and then post to a thread in the beginners forum to activate your full membership.

I am interested in BIAG too, probably 5 gallon batches though. Is it feasible to only brew 5 gallons in a bag?

I am interested in BIAG too, probably 5 gallon batches though. Is it feasible to only brew 5 gallons in a bag?

I do ~8 gallon batches in a 62 QT pot and it is fantastic.

I made a doppelbock this Sunday, 26lb of grain, full volume no sparge. It was pretty tough lifting up 26lb + 15 or whatever lb from water absorption, but it wasn't too bad.

Edit: I actually have a 10gal cooler MLT with braid and spigot, but I still PREFER BIAB. A lot of people look down on it for some reason, but it's a great method. Try it out.

There are a few videos on youtube of people doing 5 gallon boil in bag with good results. I will also try it one of these days.

I know you dont actually boil the bag... I suppose its just a habit to say it that way, like boil-in-bag rice. Brew in bag is what it actually is. Thanks IP

I love Deathrewers All-Grain BIAB method. I have brewed Belgians, ESB's, milds, wheat beers with it and it is so simple and easy.

Disclaimer:
I am a DB BIAB fanboy. It really is underrated and under-popularized. No one seems to really be aware of how easy it is and versatile (I can't think of a beer style you can't do this with) and effective it is.

I do 5 - 5.5 gallon batches in a 15gal boilermaker all the time, with no issues. Only problem is the thermometer is above my water level after about 30 mins of boiling.

electronjunkie - will you please detail your BIAG process? I would like to give it a shot now that I have a new (well new to me) keggle.

the size of the bag is to some extent irrelevant, it only has to be able to take the grain bill that you choose to use.

Back