Brew Help - Ale issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rizman460

Reaction score
I brewed an Ale two weeks ago. I measured the Final Gravity at 1.012 and proceeded to move it to my keg. The beer does not taste developed. It also is like brown water the color you have while it is fermenting. Should I have waited longer for it to ferment? Should I move it back into a carboy and let it rest longer?

While most of us advocate waiting longer than two weeks, you may be okay - 1.012 is acceptable for many beers - (do you know your OG?)

At this point, time will continue to be your friend. Leave it be, and taste it again in 2 more weeks. Or four.

Not sure about your color issues - cloudy like fermenting? or just the color is darker than you expected?
What kind of beer? Extract or All Grain? Full boil or partial boil? If extract, did the extract boil for the full length of time? (you can make it lighter by adding the extract later than your instructions, such as at the last 20 minutes of the boil - less caramelization will take place.)

West Coast IPA

Original Gravity was suppose to be 1.066 but I was at 1.060.

Used US-05 yeast

7 lbs of Golden Dry Malt Extract

60 minute boil with 5 different hops added through brew. Steeping Grains 1lb Briess Caramel and 8oz Wyermann Vienna

Alcohol is suppose to be 6.3% with IBU of 62 and color 10.

What Lovibond of Caramel did you add? Generally when "they" say Caramel/Crystal they mean 20L which would put you at 7SRM or so, a nice straw color but if you added something darker like 60L you'd be at almost 11SRM which is more of a brown/amber.

P.S. Your beer is "green" let it age some more, pull it out of the kegerator and let it warm up for a couple more weeks, it'll be much tastier!

Wyzazz, it is not green. Just looks like caramel candy The bin I scouped the Caramel/Crystal from did not say 20L.

What should I let it warm to?

He didn't mean "green" as in color. He meant to say that it is ripe, young, under-aged, etc.

With your specs, you have a beer with 6.28% alcohol like the recipe suggested. Just wait a few more weeks and see how it tastes.

If you can get more specific as to what the off-flavors are, we may be able to help more.

Yeah, you know it is kind of "green" or unripe.

Should I warm it up and wait. Right now it is in my Keg and in the refrigerator at 45 degrees.

It just needs time.

If you want, you can slowly bring it up to the mid-60s and rouse the yeast up a bit so they clean it up a bit. You can also keep it in the fridge. Either way, just give it a few weeks to do its thing.

Its probably not going to drop much more gravity. probably ok to leave it in the kegerator to carb and age. if it doesn't clear or still tastes nasty in three weeks, you could pull it out and let it age at room temp... you will prolly be OK though... if you want it to clear faster you could add gelatin per instructions in other threads.

Wyzazz, it is not green. Just looks like caramel candy The bin I scouped the Caramel/Crystal from did not say 20L.

What should I let it warm to?

Green is just another term for young, it's Acetaldehyde that you're tasting. The taste is usually reminiscent of Cider or Green Apples. Let it age (this happens faster at room temp) and you'll be good to go! :mug:

And as for the color thing, you used a darker Crystal than the recipe called for, not too big of a deal but not the same beer the recipe was made for.

rizman - Caramel (crystal) malts contribute faint sweetness and a whole range of colors - click here to see some - 10L (L is Lovibond) thru 120 are common.

Back