Brew Day Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterme79

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I am new to AG brewing and am planning my 6th batch today. I ordered two batches worth of grain to save on the shipping from Northern, but by doing so, I used the wrong hops in a Christmas Ale I brewed last weekend. Therefore, I ended up with 2 oz of Citra hops and 2 oz of Amarillo to use in a Lil Sumpin Sumpin clone. Oops!! I'm not worried about it because Frankenstein beers can be good. However, I have never used these hops before and am trying to figure out a hop schedule. Any suggestions? Also, I have American 2 row and Rahr 2 row. Not sure the difference. I also have 2 extra pounds of Pils that I was thinking of switching out some 2 row with. Thoughts???

I was trying a Laguinita Lil Sumpin' Sumpin' clone using

4# American 2 Row
2# Rahr 2 Row (is there a difference?)
5# Weyermann Pale Yeast
I have 2# of pils left from my last batch and was thinking of subbing out the Rahr 2 Row.

I have 2 types of hops I haven't used before, but the citra sounds awesome.

I will also be using Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

Oops Weyermann Pale Wheat not yeast. Haha. Also, If your not familiar with this beer, it is like a wheat ipa with a huge citric aroma.

Rahr is an American Maltster, so their 2-row is American 2-row. They also have pils malt, which is 2-row as well.

both citra and amarillo are great flavor and aroma hops. You will have a citrus bomb, will be great.

If they are the only two hops you have i would use the higher AA hop to get that bitterness up a little and then slam the brew with hardy 15-10-5-0-DRY additions bringing you to your final IBU (from the 15-10-5 additions)

Make sure to save .5 oz minimum of Citra and .5 oz minimum of Amarillo for dry hopping. If you absolutely have to give up one addition i'd give up the flame out (0-minute) addition.

Thanks. I was looking for a citrusy flavor. I have used the piney types of hops and a combination of both. I'm trying to determine exactly what the citrusy kind taste like.

I brewed before I read your reply and ended up going with 1 oz Amarillo at 60, .5 Citra at 45 and another .5 at 30, 1 oz Amarillo at 15 and have 1 oz of Citra for dry hopping.

THis will be my first dry hop. Is 8 days enough for primary with an unimpressive 1.048 OG. I plan to dry hop for about the same, depending on my work schedule.

Leave the pils out, lil sumpin sumpin is a thick, slightly sweet beer. In my experience when I add a little pils to a recipe the beer tends to attenuate down a bit further and dry out more.

Thanks for the tip on the pils, but too late. I got a low gravity reading of 1.048, but if it taste good, I'm cool with that. I am thinking that there is no reason to use pils. Two batches I used it for only got me low gravity (although I need to improve my sparging skills). I can just use 2 row that I have had better success with. I'm giving it 10 days primary and at least the same with secondary with a dry hop. Thanks for the help!

Back