Brew Day Prep!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPostman

Reaction score
Hey guys, just enjoying my last APA i bottled a month and a half ago and getting things ready for hopefully another successful brew day tomorrow. Just thought I'd let you guys know, though I've only been brewing less than a year, I think I have come up with amazing amounts of time saving tricks

What I do is, on the night before. I clean and sanitize all my pots and pans and tubes to make sure I'm ready for a quick start up the next day.

I also prep the water. I'll get my big 20 quart pot out and do a full 4 gallon boil of just the water, which eliminates SO much of the time the next day. That way, the next day, I've cut out all the time trying to sanitize the dumb water.

Note: This does make it harder to do the rest of the work, but only slightly. Whisking DME into room temp water is really hard work, and most of the times I'll still get a nice sip of a DME 'bomb' as I call them out of the bottles. Nothing harmful just a bit unpleasant.

Also note that, because of the lower temperatures, alpha acid isomerization is harder to do. My recent APA tastes well balance because I've discovered to compensate for the low temperatures you need a full 40 oz of hops just for bittering alone (per 5 gal batch). I'm going to immediately rack the beer onto my dry hops, which is about 75 oz of hops. Most of my beers resemble floating salads, or the sort of habitat you'd think a hippo might enjoy. But they all look a mess before being poured into a glass right?

Share your tips and other stuff here to help out other new people!

am I reading correctly, 115oz oz of hops for a single 5gal batch? how much does a batch cost you?

you don't boil anything aside from plain water?

Correct, I just boil the water cause that's what eats up most of the time on brew day anyway. And I can do it quicker the day before because I don't have to worry about stirring in DME, overboiling, hop schedules etc. As they say, you can set it and forget it!

As for the price, yea a usual batch costs me around $215 but it's well worth it for the beer. Way easier than going to a liquor store, and probably cheaper too!

That's how the joke worked! NO one would have believed it if it were a week ago!

Back