Brew Bucket FTSS Thermowell A Bit Short?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abdij

Reaction score
I just got the FTSS temp control system for my brew bucket. Upon first assembly, the thermowell looks as if it will not reach far below the 6 gal mark. This seems a bit short. Has anyone wondered or explored how full the fermenter precisely has to be for the thermowell to be submersed, assuming that it needs to be. Perhaps the air/krausen temp above the beer is the same temp. Thoughts?

I'm not near my little brewery right now but the one I have is about 8" long and goes almost as far down as the cooler coils. I'll measure when I get home.

Sorry it took me a few days, my thermowell is 7 3/4" long installed in the lid

I can't imagine that that krausen/air conducts temperature as well as the fermenting beer does, and I'll look at mine tonight when I keg from it (to see how far down the "dirty" mark is on the thermowell). But, I've been using the FTS in a brew bucket for a while now, and it seems to be pretty responsive and I've been very happy with it.

Latest posts

Back