Breathing StarSan from spray bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2Be

Reaction score
Hi HBT

I was making a Christmas mead today and as usual I had StarSan handy in a spray bottle to kill nasties. I was in my rather small kitchen and after a while I could feel something irritating my throat / lungs. I knew it was the mist from the StarSan bottle. All of a sudden it hit me that breathing small particles of StarSan may not be the best idea. I see somewhere online that StarSan mist should not be breathed. So my question is what is your take on this? I'm panicking a bit as I love brewing stuff but my choice of sanitizer shouldn't damage my lungs.. Do you think I'll suffer anything permanent? In the future I will definitely watch out for the mist while in a confined area..

Thank you in advance. I hope you can soothe my mind a bit.

I doubt either Phosphoric acid or Dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid surfactant should ever be taken internally but in the diluted quantities and hopefully minimal exposure you likely didn't do any lasting damage beyond the irritation you're experiencing...

[Where's that "Don't Do That" thread? Ah - right here ;)]

Cheers!

I doubt either Phosphoric acid or Dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid surfactant should ever be taken internally but in the diluted quantities and hopefully minimal exposure you likely didn't do any lasting damage beyond the irritation you're experiencing...

[Where's that "Don't Do That" thread? Ah - right here ;)]

Cheers!
Haha yeah.. Thanks for the link and reply :) The quantity I used was 10 ml to 5 litres of water. I saw many videos with people using StarSan in spray bottles. How do they protect themselves?

Stand up wind? ;)
But, mostly, don't spray above your face, I guess.

I keep a 6.5g bucket with a bit more than five gallons of Star San mixed with RO water, so it lasts until the organic loading becomes evident. I don't use a spray bottle often as I can dunk most stuff right in the reservoir...

Cheers!

Haha that's a good one :)

I sprayed below my face, but I think what I felt was "backsplash" from spraying the fermenter lid, fermenter etc.

I don't have much space as I live in an apartment but j would also prefer being able to simply dunk stuff.
Stand up wind? ;)
But, mostly, don't spray above your face, I guess.

I keep a 6.5g bucket with a bit more than five gallons of Star San mixed with RO water, so it lasts until the organic loading becomes evident. I don't use a spray bottle often as I can dunk most stuff right in the reservoir...

Cheers!

6.5g bucket with a bit more than five gallons of Star San
4 gallon bucket with 2.5-3 gallon of Starsan working solution. Last for weeks, months even. Most stuff gets dunked or wiped with a dedicated washcloth.

I do spray Starsan occasionally, where I need to, but submerging/dunking and the small washcloth method are my preference. By keeping the sprayer close to the surfaces, misting of the surrounding air is minimal.

The spray bottle with Starsan is also used to kill flies and sometimes mosquitos that come into the house. They don't fly so well when their wings are wet. ;)
Works well when they're on a window.

I've done that. Not pleasant.

I don't think unless you inhaled a great amount of the spray, you have anything to be concerned. Of course if you have respiratory problems that could make things very different.

And don't stick you head into the chest freezer fermentation chamber, and inhale, right after opening the lid.

Latest posts

Back