Breakin' the Law - Alabama Brewster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

au1991rx

Reaction score
So, I hear it may be illegal to own homebrew merchandise in the great state of Alabama. I don't know for sure since I am very new to this "hobby" (who cares). It's funny, my wife wanted me to find a hobby - she never saw it coming.... $300 later and I am strait to kegging. Guys (and maybe the occasional girl), I am hooked. Workin' on the second 5 gallon batch and my friends cant wait. The first 5 gallons should be ready before the Iron Bowl. War Eagle. SuperDave.

That is crazy. I could see having a law banning homemade liquor but you can't make beer? C'mon..... :confused:

Wow - Alabama sucks! Well, the law about homebrewing there does, anyway. Welcome to brewing! I converted to kegging after bottling one batch and deciding that a couple hundred bucks for kegging gear was well spent. You'll be happy that you forked out a few bucks for the kegs and equipment. Good luck!

homebrewer_99 said:
I wonder how much longer the HBS will be open in B'ham?:mad:

How long has that shop been there HB? It would make no sense for the shop to be able to remain open if it's illegal to brew. And that page says it was last updated in Sept 1995. Maybe they're Grandfathered in?

Then again smoke shops have gotten around it for years so for "specialty home cooking" I imagine you could get around it as well...

Stupid Law....

And wouldn't Federal legalization nullify this? Or is it a State's Rights issue? (Which really means "Yer screwed") :drunk:

Ize

There I was completely wasting, out of work and down
all inside it's so frustrating as I drift from town to town
feel as though nobody cares if I live or die
so I might as well begin to put some action in my life

Breaking the law, breaking the law

So much for the golden future, I can't even start
I've had every promise broken, there's anger in my heart
you don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue
if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing too

You don't know what it's like

Breaking the law

:rockin: :rockin:

Ize said:
And wouldn't Federal legalization nullify this? Or is it a State's Rights issue?
Preface: I'M NOT TURNING THIS INTO A POLITICAL RANT THREAD!

Curious, though...are there any federal laws about alcohol? I can't seem to think of a thing about liquor regulations that is federally mandated. Alcohol sales and DWI/DUI laws are certainly state dependent. I think even the age limit of 21 is a state by state thing (with LA being the last state to raise it from 18...I think). Perhaps the FDA has a hand in beverage regulations someplace, but I'm not even sure of that.

Just wondering out loud...

I think for drinking ages the Federal government didn't have the authority to enforce a uniform age, but they pretty much told the states if they wanted highway funds they had to go to 21. The feds do that a lot when they want the states to toe the line.

alemonkey said:
I think for drinking ages the Federal government didn't have the authority to enforce a uniform age, but they pretty much told the states if they wanted highway funds they had to go to 21. The feds do that a lot when they want the states to toe the line.
I wonder how it's legal for the Federal Government to blackmail the States...:confused:

(I'm not politicizing this thread either...):D

homebrewer_99 said:
I wonder how it's legal for the Federal Government to blackmail the States...:confused:

(I'm not politicizing this thread either...):D
It's a lot easier than getting a constitutional amendment passed, and we know how well that went the last time the feds decided to regulate alcohol constitutionally. At least it gave us NASCAR racing!

au1991rx said:
Good thing I know the Sheriff... :rockin:
SuperDave.

LOL, well there ya go then! You know you owe him beer now, don't you? :D

Quote: homebrewer_99
I wonder how it's legal for the Federal Government to blackmail the States...

LOL, man you know they've been doing that since BEFORE Philadelphia 1776... Hell it's a REQUIREMENT... :D

Ize

Ize said:
LOL, man you know they've been doing that since BEFORE Philadelphia 1776... Hell it's a REQUIREMENT... :D Ize
Speaking of 1776...did you know we had 8 presidents BEFORE George Washington? George didn't become president until 1783. So who ran the country from 1776-1783? The 8 presidents I mentioned. Google it.:D

Welcome aboard au1991rx!
Ignore the :rockin: symbols though - Judas Priest's 'Breakin' the Law' is not only the worst rock song ever but has the most embarrasing video too! :D

Caplan said:
Welcome aboard au1991rx!
Ignore the :rockin: symbols though - Judas Priest's 'Breakin' the Law' is not only the worst rock song ever but has the most embarrasing video too! :D

Oh, yeah, it's definitely horrible. But I still laugh out loud every time I see the video.

alemonkey said:
I still laugh out loud every time I see the video.
The use of guitars as guns and the bank clerk's cracked spectacles are a real treat to anyone who hasn't seen it! :D

Caplan said:
Welcome aboard au1991rx!

And, unless I'm wrong, Beavis and Butthead were fond of this song. There's a third strike.

A couple observations about the video.
1) It's shamelessly marketed to pilgrims, but strangely appropriate for this time of year.
2) Right next to the safe, there's the word "BANK" just in case you were a little late on the plot line.

Back