Bravo hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
Alright, so I need some people to settle something for me. I was reading about bravo hops and am getting some mixed messages. Normally they've been used for bittering, but according to the hop chronicles, and hopsteiner, they have a good orange thing when used for aroma/flavor additions. However, reading other pages, I get mixed review, some people say they're boring and dont add anything, some people say the add a nice fruitiness when used with other varieties. Then theres always the opinion out there that says they're crap. Anyway, does anyone have a really solid review of what these contribute as a later addition, or whirlpool additions for flavor/aroma? Thanks!

I did a NEIPA where I used Bravo for Bittering, now granted I used a few other hops, but I got the orange out of that. Once I tasted it, I decided to dry hop with another ounce of Bravo in the keg.

It does indeed provide a nice, subtle orange character when used in late kettle and dry hopping, but largely shines as part of a blend with similar hops. Don't expect to get lots of orange at 2-3 lbs/bbl usage, or combined with citra/mosaic/galaxy type hops. Less is more.

It is also a great bittering hop.

Back