Braumeister "Temp Err" Prevents Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to use my Braumeister V2 20L today, and it keep shutting down the process with a "Temp Err" message. Does anyone here know what to do?

Also, I want to upgrade the firmware, but the Braumeister does not have wifi, and it did not come with a cable. Is there any other way?

Found some good information for others.

First of all, the Braumeister eventually quit giving me the error. I wonder if a connector under the machine got wet and then dried out.

Second, I have read that a firmware update may fix this issue.

Problem: Speidel expects you to pay $400 for a wifi gadget to hook your Braumeister up to the Internet in order to get the update. It can also be done using a PC and a cable, however. You can't buy the cable. Verboten.

The good news is that some clever guy found the parts to make the cable. I don't guarantee anything. Here they are.

First Part

Second Part

Fight the Power!

Can you heat it up in manual mode without issue? If so you could do a batch manually.

Well, I figured it out.

The manual says to use 12 liters of mash water, so that's what I started with. It seemed crazy, but what do I know? First time with an AIO. Those clever Germans! They figured out a way to mash with less water!

I could tell the Braumeister's bottom was going dry, so I added more.

After I finished brewing, I took the neoprene jacket off and saw a burned place.

Then I looked at the manual again. It says to use 12 liters for the 10L model and 23 liters for the 20L. I actually checked it more than once before mashing, and I still did not notice this.

I guess this explains the low OG. I happened to have a tiny amount of DME on hand, so I dumped that in, and I got to 1.054 if I am using the refractometer correctly. For a while, it looked like I was going to be at 1.040. I was shooting for 1.056.

The jacket got burned because there wasn't always enough water in the machine.

Anyway, the beer should be okay, if not absolutely perfect, and that's a win in my book, after 16 years of brewing nothing.

I bought a 20l Braumeister in 2021 and was getting frequent TempErr alerts from day one. I even got a warranty replacement unit that did the same thing. I thought it was strange for two new Braumeisters to have the same problem so I suspected it was being caused by a software setting. Through trial and error, I discovered that the TempErr issue occurs frequently when set to Fahrenheit, but not Celsius. I understand that a firmware upgrade would solve the issue but I can’t justify $400 for the Wi-Fi module needed to upgrade. My Braumeister is running firmware version 1.1.25

Now I brew in Celsius with no issues. It’s a fantastic machine!

Maybe I'm not brave enough but I think I'd need some more info before I'd take on the firmware upgrade via a cable I cobbled together.

First, the cable assembly. How do the two parts that comprise the cable fit together? I see four connectors on the "first part" USB cable (red, white, black, and blue) that must connect to four of the five prongs on the "second part" round connector. I can't tell from the picture if there are markings on the prongs to guide which connector goes to which prong (and which prong remains open) - I doubt it. Trial and error doesn't sound like a good idea here.

Assuming I figure that out, I would connect the round connector to the Braumeister and the USB plug to my computer. I presume that I'd download the new firmware to my PC but the firmware upgrade instructions all include using the USB module for the connection. Would it work the same with the cable as it would with the WiFi module? I wouldn't want to incapacitate my Braumeister with a partial/failed upgrade (my BIGGEST concern is a bricked Braumeister).

I'm not looking for guarantees but I'd like to know if somebody did this successfully. Has anyone here built a cable and upgraded using it?

I have heard from Speidel.

They told me their tech department says the error will go away if I update my firmware. They said Morebeer might have the cable. They don't.

They suggested I have Morebeer order it. The part number is 66943.

In a later email, Speidel said they would send me a cable for nothing, so I am waiting on that. Very nice of them. It solves a major problem.

They also said the new controller will not fit the old Braumeister, so that's a bummer.

In their first response, they pitched their newer model, which has a touch screen and so on. I said it was too risky. If I was having support problems with the old one, I was not likely to take a chance on an old one. I also said running the machine in Celsius would work, but that it was like driving a BMW M5 with one flat tire.

I was not likely to buy it any time soon anyway, given the $3000 price, but I thought they should be aware their customer support has an image problem. I pointed out that their competitors' cables were available at Morebeer.

I suggest you see if Morebeer will order a cable for you.

The obvious question now: what if I plug Morebeer's cable into a USB wifi adaptor? Wouldn't the Braumeister power it up and make it work? No idea. It would be neat to have a Braumeister wifi setup for $20.

It looks like you can connect your machine to the web with a computer and get around the horrible programming interface using their web-based app. I would have thought they would have created a PC app and a phone app, but I don't see any evidence of it. Maybe the independent nature of Americans is not a big factor in their planning. A lot of us don't trust the grid.

Latest posts

Back