Braumeister Low Oxygen Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IceChisel

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to brew low oxygen with the Braumeister 10l, 20l, 50l or the Plus versions with the Low Oxygen Kit?

What were the results? Do you recommend the Braumeister with the low oxygen kit?

I've found the Braumeister forums to be helpful and a user named Lindh whose blog is helpful but no real conclusive evidence (measured) of low oxygen performance on this system.

https://forum.braumeisters.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1987Lindh Craft Beer | Hembryggning och hantverksöl - You may have to view with Google translate

Yea, thats me, and I helped develop the kits with BM.
Best single vessel you can get. It's got my name on it.
With that said, its not the best you can do if you want the lowest amount of DO.

I have been using it for my last 8-10 brew sessions and have been generally pleased. I've been brewing with the Braumeister 20L for about 6 years (old controller box). I have been adopting LoDO methods incrementally, both hot side and cold side, trying to determine what works best and most practical, limited by my equipment setup. The basic Braumeister is adaptable since underletting YOS mash water and an inherent gentle boil fit in with some basic LoDO tenants. I have also stopped sparging the grainbed. The geometry of the Low Oxygen kit allows for a greater volume of water inside the kettle during mash however, so my pre-boil volume is the same. I've made some adjustments to grain amounts in my recipes to compensate for reduced pre-boil gravity, but they've been minor. The continuous recirculation and longer step mashes have kept my efficiencies nearly the same as before. The floating mash cap in the kit fits very nicely and prevents splashing and cascading down the side of the malt pipe, allowing for both more grain in the grist bill and additional mash water (I'm filling to 29-30 liter measured on the center post after dough-in, and as much as 15 lbs/6.8kg grains).

So, overall I'm happy with the kit. It allows me to incorporate some LoDO practices and accomplish some other unrelated things that otherwise limit the Braumeister, like maximum grain bill and water volumes. One big benefit of the larger boil volume is the ability to transfer a greater volume of trub-free wort to the fermenter. For me, the height of the bottom drain port has always resulted in a lot of wort being left in the kettle after hop standing and whirlpool. I'm finally getting an additional few liters that otherwise were left behind, and thus getting a full 5 gallon keg post fermentation.

The kit is pricey but is well constructed and gives additional utility to the Braumeister. I have no way to empirically measure my results, but my beers appear to stay fresher longer with better hop aromas and flavors. For me it was a worthwhile addition.

Brooo Brother

I have been on the low oxygen train for a while. Started with BIAB which was hard to get great results from. Moved to two vessel brewing - heat water in one kettle, underlet to second vessel, then transfer back to boil kettle once mash complete. I got sick of propane so bought the Braumeister but still use the same two vessel method. It isn't perfect as I will be picking up some oxygen in the transfers but am generally happy with it.

You need to flood the malt tube and no-sparge. I have had a big hit with the efficiency due to the grains being crammed into the malt tube so at the moment I can only get to around 1.05ish starting gravity so bigger beers aren't possible for me using LODO methods. If you're not worried about LODO then you can double mash for big numbers.

@Die_Beerery - I'm unable to send messages on this forum... maybe due to being a new user. Please message me, I have a couple questions for you WRT to the 50L+.

Back