Brass fittings &tubing or garden hose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

732Brewer

Reaction score
All,

I need to either buy short garden hose or brass fittings (and tubing) for my immersion chiller. What are the pros to using the brass fittings and tubing over the simple garden hose method? Thanks for the help.

Not much, just diameter. Most simple copper and aluminum DIY immersion chillers use a 3/4" threaded standard hose hookup with a barb end on it to thread it to a smaller diameter tubing. I've seen mostly 3/8" copper tubing twisted into the circles needed for immersion chillers with 1/2" tubing run to them and attached with hose clamps.

There are no real advantages or disadvantages because it's all going to get reduced to the 3/8" copper tubing size, so.... six to one and pick em. The smaller tubing is easier to carry and haul around though. That's about all I can say about it.

Not much, just diameter. Most simple copper and aluminum DIY immersion chillers use a 3/4" threaded standard hose hookup with a barb end on it to thread it to a smaller diameter tubing. I've seen mostly 3/8" copper tubing twisted into the circles needed for immersion chillers with 1/2" tubing run to them and attached with hose clamps.

There are no real advantages or disadvantages because it's all going to get reduced to the 3/8" copper tubing size, so.... six to one and pick em. The smaller tubing is easier to carry and haul around though. That's about all I can say about it.

Ah ok. Thanks for the information. I am using 1/2 copper but if there is no real pro/cons I it is going to be both easier and cheaper buying two small garden hoses. Between fittings and tube I just spend $60 at home depot to make things work and by your comment, I think its all going back and I am going the simple route and return it all.

Back