brand new flip top gaskets no good????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david83

Reaction score
i bought a 12 pack of flip top bottles from ahs in the beggining of feb and bottled some cherry wheat in them i did not take the gaskets off cause they were new just out the box not a single bottle ive cracked open as been carbed and this is after 5 months in bottles and all 12 oz bottles are very carbed at this point are the gaskets no good should i have taken them off in the first place and replaced them.has anyone experienced this before?i mean this SUCKS im out 12 16 ounce beers wtf! :mad:

I also had a case of flip tops. I used a few here and there for bottling off the keg, and also had troubling results. Lately it's been fine for me, but I don't know exactly why.

Bottom line is that I don't trust flip tops. You can't tell it didn't seal well until you open it and it's flat.

I tried keg lube, and those bottles sealed good. I also tried to make sure the gasket was dry when I closed the lid, and that worked too. But I haven't done a rigorous enough study to find the root cause of bad sealing with fresh gaskets on flip tops. (I wonder if I could slide that past the ACE board at work for an RRCA)

Back