Bowed front to MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmcwood

Reaction score
So I have been dropping about 7-10 on my 60 minutes mashes lately and I couldnt figure out why until this Saturday morning when it was cold outside and I saw steam escaping from my Coleman MLT right by the front handle. Turns out the entire front of the cooler is bowed out and this creates about a 1/4 inch gap right at the handle. I really don't want to have to replace the cooler and manifold, big PITA. Any ideas? Could I try and close the gap with tape and cover the cooler with blankets? :confused:

So the inner and outer layer of the cooler separated? If so I would just use some low expanding spray foam to fill it. As long as the interior of the cooler is intact that should work just fine.

I apologies for the bad description. I should upload a picture but Im still at work. The layers of the cooler are all intact, its the front wall of the cooler that is curved outward. Instead of having the lid and walls of the cooler meet to create an airtight seal, the front wall is bowed out causing a slight gap right in front the handle.

I have a coleman 70qt and it does the same thing, but not as bad ... the lid just fits looser than it does when its empty. I usually do huge mashes for big beers so I dont notice much temperature drop, if any at all.

I wouldn't get a new cooler, I would just try to plug the hole with something, possibly a kitchen towel or something...

My 48 qt was doing the same thing. Solved it by using a ratcheted nylon strap tie-down that I had laying around. I also use a beach towel over the top of the cooler when i mash too.

Back