Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henrybeggs

Reaction score
After my beer finishes fermenting in two weeks I plan on racking it into my bottling bucket, adding priming sugar, and then just putting it into the sanitized bottles. Is that a sound plan? I know that getting air into the brew is a nono, so I am at a loss for the proper procedure for bottling.

Your plan is basically sound, but here are some suggested refinements:

1. Dissolve your priming sugar in hot water to ensure it will mix well. I use about equal parts water and sugar, and I boil it both to make it dissolve completely and to pasteurize, but that may not be necessary.
2. Add your priming sugar syrup to the bottling bucket when you start racking your beer. This will mix it thoroughly without introducing additional air or requiring you to stir.
3. If you bottle properly, using tubing and a bottling wand, you won't introduce a significant amount of air.

Alot of people on here would recommend leaving it in the primamry for another week or more to let it clear up. As far as bottling, your plan sounds right on to me. Just make sure everything is clean and sanitized.

Make sure it's done before bottling. Check the gravity in two weeks, sure, but don't bottle before making sure you've arrived at your final gravity. There's really no rush to bottle.

The only thing missing from your bottling procedure is that you should probably be using a bottling wand.

Allowing air contact in order to transfer and bottle is not the same as oxidation which results from shaking etc. Siphon and bottle carefully and you'll be fine. If you're making bubbles and splashing- you're doing it wrong.

Latest posts

Back