Bottling Sugar!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joaoking

Reaction score
Getting ready for bottling, I have a pound of bottling sugar and a 5 gallon batch. Knowing 1 pound of sugar is going to create a bunch of bottle bombs can i get some suggestions as to how much sugar I should use. I read somewhere on here about 2 cups of water with 5 ounces of sugar but want to be safe. I am brewing a West Coast Pale Ale. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and Happy Brewing. :tank:

Getting ready for bottling, I have a pound of bottling sugar and a 5 gallon batch. Knowing 1 pound of sugar is going to create a bunch of bottle bombs can i get some suggestions as to how much sugar I should use. I read somewhere on here about 2 cups of water with 5 ounces of sugar but want to be safe. I am brewing a West Coast Pale Ale. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and Happy Brewing. :tank:

That should work but check out the many brew calculators on the web for more info.

Here's a good priming calculator: http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

For temperature, just use the warmest temperature your beer was at since finishing fermentation.

I usually end up using less than 5 oz for a 5 gallon batch. My last batch, an IPA, was with 4 oz of priming sugar. Before that I did a chocolate milk stout that I wanted to be lower in carbonation so I went with 3.5oz for just over 2 volumes of CO2.

Thanks for the calculator, it shows that I should use just under 2/3's a cup of it. Definitely appreciate the feed back. Thanks again

Bulk priming is done by weight,not volume. I got a digital scale at Walmart for $20 that measures up to 10lbs in pounds,kilograms,grams & ounces. the numbers given in priming calculators are by weight,so you'll get better results using a scale. Here's the priming calculator I like to use; http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Forgot to update but I finally bottled my brew on 10/11/13 now playing the waiting game. Figure at Halloween I will pop my first one open for a taste. Thanks for the tips and calculators they were very helpful!

image-1169179153.jpg

image-3850243003.jpg

image-2800429145.jpg

image-1072091803.jpg

image-2750491115.jpg

image-4062997643.jpg

Another suggestion: Get a scale and weigh your priming sugar. You can get a pretty big difference when going by volume depending on how tightly packed it is. An ounce of sugar weighs an ounce. So, it is much more accurate.

I have a scale and after using the priming calculator i used I think it was 5.3 oz of priming sugar. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Latest posts

Back