Bottling/Priming Help Needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burloch

Reaction score
So today is bottling day. I've been on planning on using organic wild flower honey to make my priming solution. I just read this isn't a good idea, as there's no way to know the sugar level, and could lead to bottle bombs. My only other option is table/cane sugar. I can't for the life of me figure out how much to use for my 1 Gal jug of beer. This is my first ever brew, so I'm a little confused. I think I'm supposed to mix the cane sugar with water, but I can't find measurements. How much water and how much sugar to prime the 1 gal jug? I plan to bottle into 16.9oz glass bottles if that matters. Any help would be really appreciated!

Excellent, thanks so much guys. How much water, and do I boil it, or just add the sugar to the water? Thanks!

For a five gallon batch, I boil two pints of water, add sugar, mix, and boil for about 10 minutes. I then cover it and let it cool down to room temp.

Make sure you don't allow anything unsanitized in after the boil...because you could potentially introduce infection into your beer.

For a one gallon batch, obviously reduce the amount of water. It will come to a boil quickly.

The amount of water isn't critical. Some sources say 2 cups - some say 1 cup. Now I've seen 2 pints (AJinJacksonville). Boiling is recommended to make sure no nasties get in. I cool it in a pan of water with ice cubes to speed up the process - some just use it hot.

1/2tsp cane sugar funneled into a 12-16oz bottle works perfectly. It won't take more than a few seconds per bottle, and I timed myself at about 4 minutes for a 5-gallon batch. it provides a more consistent measurement throughout your batch rather than adding simple syrup (or similar) to an entire batch.

To use any other "fermentable" you would need to calculate the volume of sugar to the volume of liquid/solid. Also, priming with some other liquid (honey, maple syrup, etc) is unlikely to add any additional flavor/aroma benefits (from my personal tests).

Just another option:
1oz of sugar by weight boiled in 4oz of water by volume.
Start the transfer to the bottling bucket with the auto-siphon, leaving the tube against the side to create a whirlpool. Add the priming solution. Stirs itself this way. Not sure how the sugar/bottle dissolves without shaking unless it just distributes into the solution on its own.

Back