Bottling from Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Would there be any differences if you were to decide to bottle from the keg as opposed to bottling from the fermenter? Will the life expectancy of the bottles be any less in the beer bottled from the keg?

Thanks for your responses!!!

I thought it would be fine if you were to age or something providing you fill it correctly. I could be wrong.

I would be curious about this as well. Is there any difference to whether or not you have the priming sugar to keep the yeast active for aging? Since I imagine the vast majority drop when you chill to carb in the Keg.

Are you thinking of using the keg as a primary/secondary vessel, or as a way to carb the beer and then bottle carbed beer?

If you are just using it as another big fermentor, it shouldn't make any difference. If you are bottling carbed beer, you need to take some precautions to preserve carbonation and avoid oxidation (and there are a bunch of great threads on this.)

If you are talking about carbing in the keg and bottling then it depends on who you talk to. Some people would argue that bottle conditioning will keep the beer fresher for longer into the aging process but I personally haven't seen any comparisons done on bottle conditioning vs not. I think it's generally accepted that the yeast will keep the bottles fresher, help the beer age together more effectively, and prevent oxidation more effectively. However, on my higher gravity aging beers I have been force carbing and bottling from a keg because I have had a lot of issues with bottles not carbing even though I pitch fresh yeast and waited a very long time. The alcohol acts as a preservative so it should prevent spoiling for a while and the yeast will eventually die and could cause autolysis (although this is debatable because of the small amount that is actually present in the bottle). There should be some yeast left over in the bottles if you bottle from the keg but I don't think it's enough to really make a significant difference.

So bottling your high gravity beers from a forced carbed keg works better for you then from priming and bottle conditioning? Do these bottles hold up for long periods of time? I'd only be interested in doing this for a couple of months anyway. I seriously don't see a batch lasting me any longer than that, haha.

Good answer, I really appreciate the help!

The reason it works better for me is because I can control how carbonated the beers will. It has been frustrating for me to spend so much time on a beer and then have it not carbonate in the bottle. Thus, force carbing in a keg was my way of solving that. When I am speaking of high ABV beers I am talking about 8% and higher ones. If you are only planning on keeping the brews around for a few months then this is what I suggest. However, if that is the case then why would you be bottling them in the first place?

Back