Bottling Experiment Results (temps, aeration, priming sugar...)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oljimmy

Reaction score
Hi All

I recently conducted an experiment in order to try to isolate what was causing my pale beers to darken and develop sweet, sherry-like off-flavors in the bottle. I had 5 gallons of tasty, fully fermented IPA (1.057 to 1.009 in 3 weeks, 55 IBUs) which I bottled one month ago from a bucket in a variety of different ways (I used cooper's drops and cleaned/sanitized every bottle unless otherwise noted):

(3) bottles unwashed, unsterilized
(3) Bottles washed but unsterilized
(3) Bottles heavily aerated when 2/3rds full via shaking for 45 seconds
(3) bottles carbed using a dextrose solution
(1) bottle left to condition in the bright sunlight
(3) bottles carbed at ambient temps (70-85F) instead of in my 64F freezer
(1) bottled without any carbing sugar (to control for color)

The Results:

Three tasters recorded their impressions, then were blind triangle-tested in order to see if their impressions were reliable. We only kept the impressions that were widely shared amongst the four of us and that were "replicated" by tasters in a blind-fashion.

1. Bottles conditioning at 64 F were ready to drink in 5 days flat. Only a rare bottle or two needed a little more time.
2. Biggest surprise: the heavily aerated bottles were indistinguishable from non-aerated ones. This was confirmed by multiple blind taste tests. This lends support to the view that oxidation via aeration is not easy to achieve at this stage.
3. Unexpectedly, the unsanitized bottles had also lost some hop bitterness. Not sure how to explain that, but it certainly illustrates the importance of sanitization.
4. Finally, as expected, the bottle left in the sun developed a slight skunky flavor from the hops reacting to the sunlight. It was sweeter, presumably because its hop character was reduced.T his bottle was also *noticeably* darker, and interesting result I do not know how to explain:

All other Beer:
2eqan0j.jpg

Sun-Conditioned Beer:
2e4keug.jpg

No other variables produced any results. The method of carbonation didn't matter, and only the sun-conditioned bottle developed any color differences.

Take these (nonscientific) results as you will, and I certainly learned a lot from the process. Sanitization and conditioning away from sunlight appear to be quite important. I won't worry quite as much about oxidation in the future, nor about conditioning temperatures.

I was not able to nail down the culprit re: my previous darkening problem, as all of these beers turned out great. I suspect that something in a bottling wand or in the bottling bucket was to blame.

5 days may not be enough time for oxidation to show even with severe abuse like shaking the bottle. Try again after a few months and see if you notice a difference.

Yeah, I agree, but it's almost a month out and still nothing. I don't doubt that I accelerated future oxidation, but it wasn't nearly as significant a variable as I thought it would be.

Cool experiment thanks for sharing!

I also think the findings around oxidation are most interesting. I have heard many times that bottle conditioning scavenges oxygen enhancing shelf life. Would not have expected it would overcome the abuse you put those beers through...but...I also am inclined to agree with Qhrumphf about 30 days not being long enough for the oxidation to become noticeable.

But beauty of IPA is long term shelf life is not expected and if it is good at 30 days with what you did I think it is reasonable question about how careful people really need to be avoiding splashing in the bottling bucket.

When the bell in my Red Baron wing capper wore out, some caps didn't seal as tightly as they should. Those bottles oxidized, but no color change was evident. however, they did oxidize & produce that wet, musty cardboard in a basement smell & flavor. This happened in as little as 3 weeks carb/condition at room temp & 5-7 days fridge time. I notice the few bad bottles from that point out to about 4 months.

Back