bottling bucket leaked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iwwj

Reaction score
Anyone else use the brewer's best brewing kit? they seem to be pretty popular...

i bottled my beer yesterday and the damn bottling bucket was leaking through the hole for the spigot. anyone else have this problem or know how to tighten the seal for next time (wihtout buying a whole new bottling bucket)?

thanks.

If its the same one I have the spigot is held in place with a few silicone washers and a threaded plastic nut. just tighten the nut on the inside of the bucket and hopefully that will fix it. also check the washers they may be worn out but most likely just a few turns of the nut will fix things.

You could make a make-shift tube with a clamp. The only problem is that you would have to take it off and sanitize it each time you bottled

Tighten it tighter,try twisting it clockwise to tighten a little if you can,it may help this way without having to stick your hand(sanitized) in the bucket. I also had that little tiny airhole seep and had to turn that some to find the right spot but that was when i was using a botteling bucket as a fermenter.
You could also use a racking cane attached to a bottle filler,it may require 2 people when you get towards the end it tends to start tipping the bucket from the gravitational force.

I have a Brewers Best bucket and luckily have not a problem with it yet. I tighten the hell out of the nut when putting on the spigot.

I had the same issue with mine last bottling day. I put it up on my freezer so I could use gravity to help me bottle and the spigot started to leak. I quickly sanitized my entire arm and hand and reached in the bucket and tightened the nut back up. Was a pain, but as a newbie I learned to check this before I transfer to my bottling bucket.

When you take it apart to clean it, use a food safe sealer on the o-rings when you put it back together. Some people use Vaseline which SHOULD be sanitary or your LHBS should have a food grade sealer like keg lube or something similar. That way you don`t have to crank it down super tight and risk breaking it.

VB

I've been using the same plastic bottling bucket, spigot, and rubber gaskets for years with no trouble. The "bottling bucket" is just a bucket with a hole drilled in it. You do not need a new one. To make it seal well, I'll hand tighten the nut on the inside with the spigot pointing up, then turn the spigot clockwise from the outside since I can get more leverage that way. When the spigot is pointing down, it is sealed pretty tight.

thanks alot everyone. i probably just didn't have it tight enough. i'll test it again today with water.

When you take it apart to clean it, use a food safe sealer on the o-rings when you put it back together. Some people use Vaseline which SHOULD be sanitary or your LHBS should have a food grade sealer like keg lube or something similar. That way you don`t have to crank it down super tight and risk breaking it.

VB

Yep my bucket leaked from day 1 no matter how tight you got the nut. After a little keg lube on the gasket its water tight.

I know it seems obvious, but the guy at my local shop reminded me to make sure there was a washer on each side and not two on one side, he said it happens more then you'd believe.

I had the same problem bottling last weekend. I felt like I had it on tight enough, but it still leaked. It was a really slow leak and luckily I had someone to help me, which sped things up. I was thinking about putting some plumbing tape on the outside surrounding the hole. I haven't done it yet, so I don't know how well it'll work.

I don't always take the spigot totally apart, but I always remove it from the bucket and sanitize it apart.

I don't know why people freak out over this so much. Really, all it takes are the 2 gaskets that come with it (one on the inside and one on the out) and a little patience. Put it on there good and snug, but not too tight that it makes the gaskets bulge out or it will leak. Test it out with a little water first and you're golden: No lube necessary.

Really, all it takes are the 2 gaskets that come with it (one on the inside and one on the out)

Mine only came with one rubber gasket. I've only used the bucket so far to sanitize and it leaked a tiny bit. I ordered a second gasket with my recent NorthernBrewer order and will be sticking it on the inside. Even before getting it I'd read a number of people recommending a gasket on both inside and outside.

Rev.

I know it seems obvious, but the guy at my local shop reminded me to make sure there was a washer on each side and not two on one side, he said it happens more then you'd believe.

Happened to me for two beers. Didn't realize it until I was going through my equipment and saw it laying in the bottom of the tub. Doh!

The gasket goes on the outside. I put it inside first time (that is what she said...anyone?) and I tightened the crap out it.

Back