Bottling Beer from Growlers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewfanatic

Reaction score
An idea popped into my head today on how to save money on beer. Let's say I go to my local brewery, fill up a few growlers for personal consumption, and immediately pour them into 12 oz bottes and cap them. Has anyone tried this before? Reason is, I'd love to save some money by not buying bottles of the beer but I am wondering if there would be oxidation of the beer if I did this?
Any input is appreciated, thanks!

You'd definetly get oxidation, and I can only imagine saving a buck or two, if that. Why not just enjoy out of the growler as is?

I doubt it would really save money if you do the math. The cheapest growler fill I have heard of is $7. $7 is about $1.31/12 oz beer. $7.86/6 pack is what good micros cost at my local grocery store. There aren't $7 growler fills around here though, more like $10-$15.

Then add in the oxidation and hassle factor plus the cost of caps, not worth it.

I doubt it would really save money if you do the math. The cheapest growler fill I have heard of is $7. $7 is about $1.31/12 oz beer. $7.86/6 pack is what good micros cost at my local grocery store. There aren't $7 growler fills around here though, more like $10-$15.

Agreed. There are no cost savings to be realized by bottling from growlers.

Back