Bottling an ready very clear brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadianbrewer2012

Reaction score
I'm a little nervous about weather or not my beer is going to carbonate ... I bottled it today and when looking at it it was very clear ... On brew day I stored it In a primary bucket for one week and then transferred it to a secondary carboy for the second week leaving most all of the yeast cake behind and today when bottling it it looked exceptionally clear with very little yeast on the bottom of the carboy when I syphoned into the bottling bucket ... Should I be worried due to the lack of obvious sediment in my beer?

I have read that it can be recommended to re pitch yeast in bottling day for carbonation.. I appreciate the reassurance however if someone could elaborate .. Are these observations typical? The beer I am brewing is an extract Mach of Kokanee gold...

If your confident you beer fermented properly, ie there is alcohol in it, then don't worry about it. At the worst, you'll just have to wait a little longer for it to fully carb.

For an ale, 2-4 weeks primary/secondary, you'll have plenty of yeast in suspension for carbing, no matter how clear it looks (clear is good!). Personally, I only think about repitching for very high gravity (greater than 9% or so) and beers that have lagered for a long time (greater than 4 months at 32 degrees). I lagered a bock for 4 months, didn't repitch, and it carbed. It did take a while though.

Well I am considering trying one of my beer after only one week of carbonating by bottle ... Should I wait at least until two weeks? I just wanna see how things are going .. And the wait is killing me ...

I'm a little nervous about weather or not my beer is going to carbonate ... I bottled it today and when looking at it it was very clear ... On brew day I stored it In a primary bucket for one week and then transferred it to a secondary carboy for the second week leaving most all of the yeast cake behind and today when bottling it it looked exceptionally clear with very little yeast on the bottom of the carboy when I syphoned into the bottling bucket ... Should I be worried due to the lack of obvious sediment in my beer?

Its supposed to be clear when you bottle.
Well I am considering trying one of my beer after only one week of carbonating by bottle ... Should I wait at least until two weeks? I just wanna see how things are going .. And the wait is killing me ...

wait 4 weeks

Try it along the way. Then you'll see why people recommend waiting.

Well I have heard from folks that they have tried their beer just days after bottling it and say it was nicely carbonated ... I figured I would try one after a week to satisfy my curiosity as to weather or not it's carbonating well... Am I alone on this one? Does no one else throw back a premature home brew? If I am bound to be disappointed then I will leave it be...

Do as you want no one will beat you with a bat. You will learn to give it some time on the next brew. Do it and enjoy the green beer next week you will enjoy a little better beer so on and so forth you have 48+ one a week for the first 4 weeks will not deplete your stockpile but be sure to brew soon because you will drink all of them once you decide they are good to go.

Canadianbrewer2012 said:
Well I have heard from folks that they have tried their beer just days after bottling it and say it was nicely carbonated ... I figured I would try one after a week to satisfy my curiosity as to weather or not it's carbonating well... Am I alone on this one? Does no one else throw back a premature home brew? If I am bound to be disappointed then I will leave it be...

I try a beer week for two reasons, to see how they are coming along and second is to grade taste. Taste will develop and I like to evaluate the time the beer hits it's prime so I know when it's best served and for competition submittals.

I keep notes on flavor, taste, aroma and carbonation for each batch. Generally though for most of my ales I find 4 weeks from bottling is when they become their best.

I recently experienced something very similar. We created a cream stout on 25 February, did all the necessary transfers, and bottled on 17 March. They have been stored at 70 degrees ever since. These bottles are completely flat. There is absolutely no yeast evidence at the bottom of the bottles. No carbonation whatsoever. My initial read is that I did not create a starter for initial fermentation and all the yeast got used up.

As far as gravity readings go, this was our first try with a hydrometer, and I thought that the readings were high when we bottled. I took extra precautions because I was expecting bottle bombs.

I am all for waiting and patience, but my brew partner has already drank all of his allotment, and half of mine.

We are in the second week of our second attempt, this time with a healthy starter.:eek:

I recently experienced something very similar. We created a cream stout on 25 February, did all the necessary transfers, and bottled on 17 March. They have been stored at 70 degrees ever since. These bottles are completely flat. There is absolutely no yeast evidence at the bottom of the bottles. No carbonation whatsoever. My initial read is that I did not create a starter for initial fermentation and all the yeast got used up.

As far as gravity readings go, this was our first try with a hydrometer, and I thought that the readings were high when we bottled. I took extra precautions because I was expecting bottle bombs.

I am all for waiting and patience, but my brew partner has already drank all of his allotment, and half of mine.

We are in the second week of our second attempt, this time with a healthy starter.:eek:

Making a starter or not has nothing to do with the carbonation of the beer in the bottle. There is always enough yeast in suspension to eventually carb up a beer unless it has been sitting in a carboy for 6-8 months. If you bottled a beer on March 17th and it is flat today you are only talking about 13 days or two weeks. Depending upon the gravity of the beer it could take 3-4 weeks for a beer to properly carb up, even at 70 degrees.
EDIT: my months are wrong, forgot its the last day of April, but still believe you need to give it more time :drunk:

Read This: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/#post1030387

This issue has been addressed many, many times, there is no rule of time for a bottle to properly carb up, but 99.9% of the time they all do assuming everything was done properly. Another tip is to use oxygenating caps.

I read in another thread - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/flat-beer-force-carb-233276/ - that it sometimes takes stout 6 – 8 weeks to carb up. That thread might be worthwhile reading.

Back