Bottling a fruit beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach976

Reaction score
I will be brewing a watermelon wheat beer in the near future and wondering if I need to adjust the amount of priming sugar. I will be adding puréed watermelon to the secondary. I have heard that you need to use less priming sugar but would like to hear from others experience.

As long as you let your fruit additions ferment out to completion, there's no need to change your priming sugar amounts.

Rack onto your fruit, let it go for a week or two. If your gravity is stable over a few days, then it's no different than any other beer.

If you add fruit then bottle without waiting for secondary fermentation to complete, then yeah, reduce priming sugar. By how much? Don't know... let your hydrometer be your guide.

I naturally carb my watermelon wheat with fresh juice in the keg. After taking brix readings on the juice I figured out that the 4 cups per 5gal I like to use coincidentally turns out to be about the right amount of sugar to prime a keg. I'd probably be more careful with bottles though. As mentioned above the easiest would be to just let the fruit ferment out completely then bottle with sugar as usual.

Back