Bottling a berliner weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wondercow

Reaction score
Yesterday, I brewed a Berliner Weisse recipe I got from a friend, and this morning, it hit me: how am I going to bottle this thing? The friend who gave me the recipe kegs and force carbonates his beer, but I have no such equipment. The problem I see with bottling: lacto makes acid. Acid kills yeast. Yeast are needed to eat the priming sugar and carbonate the beer in bottles. So if the yeast are all dead from the lactic acid, I'm going to have flat beer in the bottles.

Am I thinking this through correctly? If I add priming sugar before bottling, will the lactobacillus just eat the sugar and make CO2 instead of the yeast? If so, I'm assuming that all the priming sugar to carbonation tables are valid only for yeast--any thoughts on how I can figure out how much sugar to use in this situation? Thanks.

Thanks--glad to hear I haven't dug myself a hole. I always think of these things right after it's too late...

Back