Bottles not carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYShooterGuy

Reaction score
hello, most of the time i follow recommended carbonation protocols, i.e.: following online calculations based on temperature, volume and style of beer, and i use an accurate digital scale to acquire the right amount of corn sugar to prime, however i find that it takes more then 3 weeks, or even 5 to get any carbonation. my home is often only at 64 Fahrenheit or lower in these winter months, an difficult to find a warmer area in my 700 sq. ft. condo to keep these bottles both away from light and in a warm area to carb up my bottles.

i bought an infrared thermometer and found that when m wife does laundry, the closet that can barely hold a bottle's width of room reaches 80+ degrees Fahrenheit.

what to do?:(

Turn up the heat? I mean, aren't you guys cold? Even 68 would suffice.

If you can find a sunny place near a window, why not put the bottles in an improvised chamber of some kind. Or just simply covered but in the sunbeam area.

More heat. I'm sure it's not the answer you wanted.. I would invest in a small space heater to put in the room where your bottles are stored..get it closer to 70F. I'm not usually one to suggest "just get more equipment" but in this case, there isn't much else to do unless you want to wait the 5 weeks your beer requires to achieve proper carbonation.

Does your heat run often? If so, you could stack them right next to a vent, gotta be a little warmer there.

That's where I've been keeping mine.

Back