bottles for my brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumpwater

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing and realize i'm gonna need a bunch of bottles for my brew so i've been thinking about how to get em' without buying them. It's easy, all i have to is drink one 6 pack of sam adams a day for 365 days and i will have 2190 pretty brown longnecks.. Ain't this brewing fun !! I just can't see buying empty beer bottles.

Is this a question or a general statement? I ran into the same issue. I found a guy on craigslist selling 70+ bottles for $10. I ended up just buy 48 bottles new from my LHBS for $26. I'm now needing 48 more, so I'm starting to buy 6 packs of sam adam's and saving the bottles. Any crown cap amber bottle will work.

:)

There are a lot better beers to get bottles from than Sam Adams, IMHO. You can use just about any pop-top brown bottle, so explore new beers and different styles. You may surprise yourself at what you'll start liking that you didn't think you would. Sam Adams may be on the cheaper side, but that extra 1-2 bucks more your spending on a different brand is worth it to experience new beers and try new styles. You'll be brewing up crazy concoctions inspired from different beers in no time! Have Fun!

Have your friends save and nighbors save them.....or go to a bar or high end party store and tell them what you need. Buying empty beer bottles is BS!! Its way more fun to empty them yourself. WHen I get bottles from anyone that are used I give them a soak in a bleech/water solution to make sure they are sterile....then rinse with hot water. Good luck.

deschutes is cheaper than SA out west and their bottles are way cooler with the hop vines molded right into the glass.

just sayin.

Don't forget to get some 22 oz. bombers as well. I always do a few when I bottle a batch. I also do a few clear bottles because I like to watch the beer clear. Sometimes I cant wait to drink em, so I give it a taste when it first clears.

When I started I just informed all my coworkers, friends and family that I needed crown cap bottles. I also used the opportunity as Paul stated, buying new beers to try. Also, another idea...tell your friends to come over for a party and inform them to bring a six pack of any crown cap types they want. You keep the bottles and everyone gets to try new beers! (if they ask which are crown cap just direct them to sam adams)

deschutes is cheaper than SA out west and their bottles are way cooler with the hop vines molded right into the glass.

just sayin.

I gotta admit I am a Deschutes fan too! I have yet to find a brew by them that was not very good!

I have at least 4 cases:)D) of empties from them alone!

There are a lot better beers to get bottles from than Sam Adams, IMHO. You can use just about any pop-top brown bottle, so explore new beers and different styles. You may surprise yourself at what you'll start liking that you didn't think you would. Sam Adams may be on the cheaper side, but that extra 1-2 bucks more your spending on a different brand is worth it to experience new beers and try new styles. You'll be brewing up crazy concoctions inspired from different beers in no time! Have Fun!

That's a matter of personal preference, I love SA and right now my bottles are about 50% SA, 20% Sierra Nevada and 30% various (Anchor, Guinness, various micro/craft brews). Which reflects what I drink normally. Although I am planning on replacing all the bottles with Sierra, they just look so damn awesome with the labels I print for them, which is fine because I love their Pale Ale and Kellerweis.

Hey folks i guess this post is more of a statement than a question now that i read it again.I was just sittin here thinking about how many bottles i have thrown away over the years, then i started doing the math and got kinda tickeled at the 6 pack a day for a year number. Maybe i should be in rehab instead of a brewing forum, but come new years day u know what i'm gonna do? Thats right,i'm gonna buy me a 6 pack and save every bottle in 2011..

I'm new to brewing and realize i'm gonna need a bunch of bottles for my brew so i've been thinking about how to get em' without buying them. It's easy, all i have to is drink one 6 pack of sam adams a day for 365 days and i will have 2190 pretty brown longnecks.. Ain't this brewing fun !! I just can't see buying empty beer bottles.

I get about 50+ beer bottles from coworkers and family every 2 weeks, just ask around. People who drink beer will give you bottles, just make sure you tell them you will give them some :)

Back