Bottled Water Analysis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gytaryst

Reaction score
I had my tap water tested by Ward Labs 3 years ago and input the results in Bru' N Water. I rarely use 100% tap water, I always dilute it with RO water. Bru' N Water automatically generates the following numbers for RO water; 1 ppm calcium, 0 ppm magnesium, 8 ppm sodium, 1 ppm sulfate, 4 ppm chloride and 16 ppm bicarbonate.

Is it worth sending in a sample of the RO water I use to Ward Labs?

I was also considering using bottled water and sending a bottle to Ward Labs for analysis, but I found this page: https://www.nestle-watersna.com/en

On the pdf file for analysis for Arrowhead Mountain Spring Water it shows calcium as "2.1-68", magnesium as "0.86-20 and Chloride as "ND-10" etc.

Are they saying that the calcium in their mountain spring water could be anywhere between 2.1 and 68 ppm?

That's a pretty broad range. A report from Ward Labs wouldn't be much good if there can be this much variance.

Last edited:
Nestle bottles that product from a number of sources. That is why the water quality range is so broad. It would be difficult to plan your brewing water needs if using that product.

All RO water from competent machines is going to have low ionic content. The values that are quoted in Bru'n Water are from my machine and they may or may not be slightly different from what your machine puts out. What that means in practice is that the values could be off by several ppm (like maybe 5). That isn't really worth worrying about. However, if you've got $30 burning a hole in your pocket, you are welcome to invest it in a water test.

Nestle bottles that product from a number of sources. That is why the water quality range is so broad. It would be difficult to plan your brewing water needs if using that product.
Okay. That's what I wanted to know. I thought maybe I was missing something. That's a huge unknown on the bottled water - I'll just stick to tap water and RO water. Thanks Martin

If you can find a bottled water source that reports a narrow range of water quality, that could be a decent alternative.
Yeah. I have the Ward report for my tap water and I know the RO water I buy is above average. I have a wide range of profiles I can adjust to starting with 100% tap water, 100% RO or any ratio in between. I was thinking adding another completely different reliable source would increase my options on certain styles but it's probably more expense and more hassle than it's worth.

For drinking water I use RO and add in 2ml of Trace Minerals - Optimal pH to 5 gallons. I might send a sample of that in just for fun.

All RO water from competent machines is going to have low ionic content. The values that are quoted in Bru'n Water are from my machine and they may or may not be slightly different from what your machine puts out. What that means in practice is that the values could be off by several ppm (like maybe 5). That isn't really worth worrying about. However, if you've got $30 burning a hole in your pocket, you are welcome to invest it in a water test.
Yesterday I noticed a .04 predicted mash pH change after adding the following to my RO water profile.
1ppm - calcium
8ppm - sodium
4ppm - chloride
1ppm - sulfate
13ppm - alkalinity
16ppm - bicarbonate

The predicted pH value increased from pH 5.39 without the aditions to pH 5.43 with the additions. Not a huge difference. But significant enough to eliminate when trying to improve pH prediction.

Back