Bottled too early, help... Foam foam and more foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppafritz

Reaction score
So i bottled my first batch way to early and i have lost 4 beers to over pressure (the bottles blew up) and now i am stuck with a bunch of beer that turns to foam when i pour it out of the bottle. The beer taste great but once it's opened and moved it turns to 100% foam, i have tried a few things to pour it with less foam but nothing ideal yet. Is there a way that i can reduce the amount of foam when i pour my beer? I noticed if i open it slowly it will sit ok but once i move it BOOM it foams out, So far i have just been letting it over foam into a glass and slowly pour a little out at a time. I really learned my lesson on this one. So if there is some trick to get it to foam less please let me know.

I'll suggest pouring into a large pitcher and then serving after the foam settles.

Please be careful with each one and protect yourself and others.

Also try giving them at least a week in the fridge. I had one batch do that a little & the fridge time helped.

Thanks guys, i'll throw them in the fridge and see how that goes. Right now i have them in a container so if, god forbid, any more go boom they will be contained.

I believe opening them when VERY cold will help too!?! CO2 should stay in the beer a bit better when very cold, and hopefully let off excess slowly as it warms a bit.
Just a guess on my part. Hope it helps

I believe opening them when VERY cold will help too!?! CO2 should stay in the beer a bit better when very cold, and hopefully let off excess slowly as it warms a bit.
Just a guess on my part. Hope it helps

This was my intended meaning in post #3. 1 week,maybe two depending on how violent the foam-over is. def seems to help. and pour it into a room temp glass. It should behave at that point to let it warm a little to a good drinking temp.

So i bottled my first batch way to early and i have lost 4 beers to over pressure (the bottles blew up) and now i am stuck with a bunch of beer that turns to foam when i pour it out of the bottle.

How early did you bottle?

After refrigerating them for a while I would try opening the bottle and letting them just sit for about a half hour to off-gas a little. Might help.

Back