Bottled, need help. Strong alcohol taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plopez5

Alex Lopez
Reaction score
I transferred some of my cyser mead. I transferred it into a carboy with cinnamon sticks . I took some out to get my final gravity and it was about 0.992 and my original gravity was 1.100 . I used a 2 gallon fermenter and about 10 apples cored and juiced with 6 pounds of honey. I took some out to try and it had this really strong alcohol taste to it, this is my first mead batch so I'm not sure how it's supposed to be . What can I do to increase the sweetness ? What are some tricks you did, or substances you let it sit with in a carboy before ? Thanks in advance .

-Alex

That's normal. Your mead is dry. Look up back-sweetening. Alcohol needs time to smooth. If your mead tastes strongly of alcohol, you can expect it'll still be there for quite some time in the bottles. Nothing to worry about, though.

I wasn't sure if I messed something up or got some contaminates in the fermentation process. Pretty excited it wasn't too bad though. :tank::tank:

Like JJack887 said, it needs time. The alcohol taste should mellow out in 6 months to a year, and your mead should be delicious after some aging. Also as he suggested, research back sweetening to make sure you do it correctly and don't cause your bottles to explode.

Back