Bottled in Growlers and 1 Gallon jug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worthog82

Reaction score
So I thought I'd save some time and bottle half my batch of cider into three growlers and a 1 Gallon apple juice jug from Whole foods. I read the threads on here to late about strength issues with these types of containers. (Well not exactly to late, just bottled yesterday and no Kaboom). But I am worried there might be a problems and don't want to risk loosing half a batch. Is there a good way to get them out of the big bottles and into 12 oz? I think I could siphon from the growlers to the bottling bucket, but the 1 gallon is too small to fit the siphon in. Any ideas? Carefully poor the cider down the side of the bottling bucket?

Is your cider carbed seems to be only a problem with really carbed stuff though I filled a couple 1 gallon wine jugs with carbed Apfelwein with no problems been sitting for a couple weeks now.

I would loosen the caps to let out the pressure, and either let it be still cider, or re-bottle in proper pressure capable vessels. A 2L soda bottle works too.

Some say that it works, but I personally know of one person close to me that had one detonate in his kitchen because he didn't know any better at the time.

I've heard a lot of bad stories about bottoms falling out of growlers. Also for larger vessels you should use less priming sugar. You could very well end up with a couple bombs.

I have a keg that I can move it to in a week or two. Any risk of spoilage if I loosen the caps?

I have a keg that I can move it to in a week or two. Any risk of spoilage if I loosen the caps?

Not really unless there is a lot of air circulating near the bottles. loosening the caps and not taking them off will keep most yuckies out, and the CO2 will create a layer that'll just sit there...pretty much...

So I transferred the cider to the keg. I sampled it and it was slightly carbonated already. I put it in the kegorator and turned the gas on to 12 psi to force carb it over 3 weeks, but since it was already primed and some carbonation occurred will it be over carbed? Should I back off on the force carbing?

Latest posts

Back