Bottled during fermentation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshWithrow

Reaction score
I have been lurking this forum for the past 2 months, brewed my first batch of beer 4.5 weeks ago (just drank my first few a couple days ago), and 1 week after I started my American Amber Ale, I started this cider. This place is a gold mine of information, and is why I decided to try to carbonate my first cider.

Now lets see if I get an answer before complete paranoia sets in

I have just bottled 12 1 litre swing top bottles, 6 12 oz bottles (capped), and a 12 oz water bottle. I have been keeping an eye on my cider for the past week in regards to taste/gravity. Today it tasted great right where it was at (alittle sweet, but I wanted my first batch sweet) sitting at 1.015ish. So I just bottled maybe 2 hours ago.

The thing that has me worried is that the 12 oz water bottle is already "pressurized". It's still squeezable, not completely hard (that's what she said), but I don't want to wake up in the morning to a mess.

Do I have anything/much to worry about?

You will need to pasteurize. I think its supose to be firm hard when you do it. Id say at worsted pasteurize now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

LOL

I already loaded the dishwasher. Just waiting for the soda bottle to get pretty hard, then I'm runnin' that sucker!

Thanks for the response. There was no way I was going to bed with these things pressurizing like this.

Just posting because someday this maybe semi-valuable to somebody else (or me if I need a reference).

When I bottled this cider from the carboy, a bubble was coming thru the airlock ever 15 seconds or so. I had done nothing to stop or slow the fermentation. SG was at 1.015 when bottled.

It's been 48 hrs. I opened a 12oz bottle. Small "pop" when I opened the cap. Haze in bottle neck (like fog). After opening, contents of bottle bubbling consistently in the bottle. Light carbonation. Pured into a glass, small head, little retention (no goal here, just observation). Just a light fizz.

Back