bottle conditioning in aluminum bombers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Totes

Reaction score
I've been saving these up, with the thought that they would be great for mountain biking/camping/hiking.I like the metal bomber concept, lighter and safer. I am about to bottle condition my RIS in a few to see how it goes. I decided cider is a bad idea due to ph. (on a side note the Base Camp beer is fantastic)
Has anyone else done this?

P1020582.jpg

I have. I have only used them once, but they worked well. You need a bench capper though, since there is no real shoulder to grip with a wing capper. Also, make sure you are using a real bottle opener when opening them and be careful, because you can pinch the lip, which means you can't use it again. Also, if you want to get rid of the paint, good luck. The only thing I found that works is sanding, which takes forever. I ended up lightly sanding them, then painting with silver paint.

Thanks for the tips! I hope I used a real bottle opener the first round.

Sanding and painting? Wow. I thought OxyCleaning labels was enough of a chore. Talk about dedication.

Sanding and painting? Wow. I thought OxyCleaning labels was enough of a chore. Talk about dedication.

I like presentation. I also label all of my beers (have since I started). It helps show the thought and time that went into making the beer outwardly.

Forgot to mention, if you do paint them, I painted them with caps on, so as not to get paint in the bottle.

Forgot to mention, if you do paint them, I painted them with caps on, so as not to get paint in the bottle.

"I detect an off flavor of ethyl acetate"....."No, that's just Rust Oleum...":cross:

What about using a media blast cabinet to take the paint off? Wonder if Baking Soda media would do the trick.

Back