Bottle Conditioning a 2.0 volume beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rundownhouse

Reaction score
I've got a barleywine that is about 6-7 months old. Its kegged up and sitting a 38F and 2.0 volumes of CO2. I want to bottle condition it and bring it to 2.5 volumes. I do not want to carb it the rest of the way and then bottle it.

Anyone have a calculator or formula for how much sugar to add to 5g to bump it from 2 volumes to 2.5?

You can simply use any standard priming calculator, calculate the sugar for 2.0 vol, then for 2.5 vol, and figure out the difference. That results in 1.4-1.5 oz for dextrose (corn sugar). You're going to want to use more than that though, since you're going to lose carbonation during the bottling process. How much you lose will depend on your process. If the keg's been sitting cold for a long time, you might need to get the sediment from the bottom swirled up so that there's enough yeast to do the job.

Hope that helps.

Back