Bottle Carbed NEIPA Status Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAddikt

Expert Beer Quaffer
Reaction score
So I bottled a batch of NEIPA on Wednesday night, best beer I've ever brewed by far. I'm going to monitor this beer closely as it bottle carbs to see if I can peg when it starts to go south.

I popped one open today at 4 days old. There are ZERO oxidation effects at this point and it's actually decently carbonated. It's absolutely delightful and glowing just as bright as when I bottled it! I'm in love and I can see why this style of beer is all the rage right now.

I will keep updating how things are going with this attempt to bottle carb this lovely brew. I have no doubt it will get worse over time, but I'm genuinely curious if bottling at light speed with solid technique will keep it fresh for a longer period of time than what's been previously reported.

Cheers! :mug:

Edit: Added a pic.

IMG_3238.jpg

I've primed with Sugar in a keg before and then bottled with a beer gun and had zero oxidation effects after a month.

Day 6 post bottling.

Aroma is still intoxicating. Color looks the same but may have darkened slightly. I'm picking up a faint hint of oxidation but this could be due to me drinking a Two Hearted clone before I cracked this one open.

Will update again in 2 days.

IMG_3241.jpg

I have bottled a NEIPA with 1318 and at day 4 was carbonated ( sitting at 77F ). At day 7 the beer was oxidated. Day 8, the beer was much darker, the aroma and flavour were gone and the beer turned bad.

:(

I have bottled a NEIPA with 1318 and at day 4 was carbonated ( sitting at 77F ). At day 7 the beer was oxidated. Day 8, the beer was much darker, the aroma and flavour were gone and the beer turned bad.

:(

8 days? Dang!

I've never had a beer show signs of oxidation after only 8 days of being packaged. I brew a lot of hoppy beers and they're always good for a while after I keg/bottle. Are you sure there's no air getting in your siphon or something like that? Even if you splash it around a little while racking it into a bottling bucket the yeast should consume that oxygen during the carbonation process.

I get that people want to drink these "NEIPA's" as soon as humanly possible due to the precious hop resins deteriorating but oxidation shouldn't be that big of a deal in a beer that's so young. It could have gotten darker due to the yeast falling out of suspension once the beer is carb'ed.

Just my .02 :mug:

my neipa has been in the bottle for several months and they still taste great. the hops have attenuated slightly, and they are fairly clear now, but no signs of oxidation. (using 1318 yeast, fwiw).

Day 8 post bottling.

Aroma is starting to fade slightly. Not much change in color but noticeable oxidation starting to creep in. Bittering hops are much more prominent now due to the aroma hops fading. It's already gone from a great beer to just a good one. I'm stunned by how quick this beer has changed while carbing.

I'm making the move to kegging on the basis of this style of beer alone. Oh well. I gave it my best shot. I'll update again in a few days.

IMG_3242.jpg

I'm making the move to kegging on the basis of this style of beer alone. Oh well. I gave it my best shot. I'll update again in a few days.

It could happen to you cuz it happened to me

My last attempt at bottling was to do it with 3 or so points above estimated FG with carb drops added to bottles before filling. Now I keg

So I bottled a batch of NEIPA on Wednesday night, best beer I've ever brewed by far. I'm going to monitor this beer closely as it bottle carbs to see if I can peg when it starts to go south.

I popped one open today at 4 days old. There are ZERO oxidation effects at this point and it's actually decently carbonated. It's absolutely delightful and glowing just as bright as when I bottled it! I'm in love and I can see why this style of beer is all the rage right now.

I will keep updating how things are going with this attempt to bottle carb this lovely brew. I have no doubt it will get worse over time, but I'm genuinely curious if bottling at light speed with solid technique will keep it fresh for a longer period of time than what's been previously reported.

Cheers! :mug:

Edit: Added a pic.

How is it that carbonated after just 4 days? I only keg now, but from back when I used to bottle, the beer would not have much carbonation after 4 days.

the last neipa that I bottle conditioned (using table sugar) did not oxidize, it cleared itself up. lost the haze and tons of flavor..

How is it that carbonated after just 4 days? I only keg now, but from back when I used to bottle, the beer would not have much carbonation after 4 days.

I've had a couple beers carb quite nicely at 6 days. Depending on style, i usually try one a week out. Never tried one at 4, but with a lot of yeast in suspension like a NEIPA, I could believe it.

My last NEIPA made with 1318 was pleasently carbonated after 4 days. It sat at 75-77 F. But NEIPAs are very low in carbonation, at least this is how i made it. Around 2.2 volumes of CO2.

OK, maybe it was not fully carbonated, but it took maybe 2 days more after that.

I've never had a beer develop this much carbonation in 4 days before, but it wasn't fully carbed. A lot of the foam is due to this style of beer having so much protein haze and hop oils. But I'm glad I had 2 bottles on day 4 as they were absolutely delicious. Used 1318, OG was 1.060, FG was 1.011 which was lower than I predicted so I don't think the extra carbonation at 4 days was due to insufficient fermentation.

Regardless, this style of beer is adversely effected by any exposure to oxygen. I used 6oz of hops in two separate dry hop charges and apparently that much dry hopping requires kegging.

Brewing an Oktoberfest as I type this. :ban:

A very interesting, but in retrospect predictable development to report.

I always bottle 12-14 22oz bombers every time I bottle that I save for myself and never give out. In my bottling process I always bottle the bombers first them move on to the 12oz bottles. The previous samples I was reporting on were the last 12oz bottles that were packaged and thus were exposed to more O2.

I just cracked open the last bomber I bottled a few minutes ago (the 12th beer that was bottled in that batch). It is still fresh and perfect. Zero oxidation, perfect hop aroma, amazing flavor.

My process from opening fermenter and introducing O2, to racking into bottling bucket, till last bottle is filled is approximately 40 minutes. I'm guessing the previous samples and the one I had tonight had maybe a 20 minute difference in exposure to oxygen. Unreal. NEIPA is finicky.

The only real success I had was in a flip top growler I had(1/2 gallon). It stayed hazy and fresh for 5 weeks. I filled it first using my regular wand until it over flowed. There was little head space, and IMO enough yeast in half a gallon to scavenge what oxygen was present.

Back