Boozeday Tuesday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgrayson726

Reaction score
Who wants to join me?

I've been sipping on 3 different Barley Wines since I got off work.

Chicken Killer BW - Santa Fe Brewing Co.
Gnarllywine - Lagunitas
Old Ruffian - Great Divide Brewing Co.

I'm a little toasted as I have been sipping on those for a while.. Random tangent: sipping/nursing a beer has a potential to get you drunker quicker because it sits in your esophagus longer. Beer in your stomach gets digested and gets you drunk over time, however when it is in your esophagus, it is almost instant. Doing a power-hour {[which I don't recommend (taking one shot every minute for 60 mins)] like the brackets?} will get you drunk off of ****ty cheap beer the quickest.

So, what I'm trying to say is sip on great beer, rather than chug ****ty beer.

/end tangent

What are you drinking tonight?!

glad you are enjoying some fantastic barley wines but that second part pains my in my biology degree.

yes some ethanol is absorbed by mucous membranes such as your esophagus and stomach the vast majority is absorbed by your small intestine. Also ethanol is indeed broken down in the stomach by the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase it is relatively quickly passed to the small intestine and it absorbed and diluted in the blood stream to produce the effects you are currently feeling.
/endbiologyrant

present and accounted for. working my way through a growler i got filled yesterday. black ipa. also sampled one of my currently aging ginger pale ale's and an oatmeal stout as I listen to the sounds of vigorous fermenting of my experimental spruce tip and cedat 1.13 OG barleywine. sounds like someone is vomiting in my room, and it isnt me.

glad you are enjoying some fantastic barley wines but that second part pains my in my biology degree.

yes some ethanol is absorbed by mucous membranes such as your esophagus and stomach the vast majority is absorbed by your small intestine. Also ethanol is indeed broken down in the stomach by the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase it is relatively quickly passed to the small intestine and it absorbed and diluted in the blood stream to produce the effects you are currently feeling.
/endbiologyrant

Holding liquor under your tongue works. It hurts, but it works.

Don't ask me how i know.

Drinking some ranger ipa and some cowboy coffee porter. Ive never had a barley wine. Got one in primary, 5 months to go. ahhhhhhh i cant wait!

Back