BOMM issues: bread taste and clarification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

resif

Reaction score
Hi!
I have a couple of BOOMM batches.
The first one started fermenting on May 1st and ended on May 17th and then started to clarify.
The temperature didn't go beyond 21°C

The second one started fermenting on June 5th and ended on June 29th then started to clarify.
The fermentation process was very long because of the temperatures: at the beginning it was about 22°C, then it raised to 24°C on June 18th (this is the limit of the yeast) and was 25°C / 26°C till the end (June 29th).

The issues with both batches is that the first mead hasn't completed the clarify process and it tastes like bread (because of the yeast I suppose) and the second on hasn't clairified yet.

What do you think about these?
Looking forward to read your thoughts.

Thanks!

What nutrients (if any) are you using? I have found too much nutrient can leave behind bread-like flavors; especially Fermaid-O.

I tried degassing it more times but nothing changed.

What nutrients (if any) are you using? I have found too much nutrient can leave behind bread-like flavors; especially Fermaid-O.
Since I can't find Fermaid-O or Fermaid-K neither buying it online, I'm using SpringFerm BR-2.
It's a yeast sold by an online seller that sells everything you need to produce beer: it sells a different variety of beer yeasts and these are the only nutrients sold there.
It contains inactivated yeast, Zinc sulphate and Manganese sulphate.

The total amount of nutrients is 8,28 gr plus 4,14 gr of DAP for a 5 lt batch spreaded as the BOMM timing requests.
These values are calculated followign the BOMM recipe.

Anyway my batches haven't clarified yet and it's been a month since I've written this post

I tried degassing it more times but nothing changed.

Since I can't find Fermaid-O or Fermaid-K neither buying it online, I'm using SpringFerm BR-2.
It's a yeast sold by an online seller that sells everything you need to produce beer: it sells a different variety of beer yeasts and these are the only nutrients sold there.
It contains inactivated yeast, Zinc sulphate and Manganese sulphate.

The total amount of nutrients is 8,28 gr plus 4,14 gr of DAP for a 5 lt batch spreaded as the BOMM timing requests.
These values are calculated followign the BOMM recipe.

Anyway my batches haven't clarified yet and it's been a month since I've written this post

The inactivated yeast will provide your B vitamins and the DAP will provide YAN. I would like to give the yeasties some potassium to help them along the way as well. I haven't looked up this SpringFerm and it may contain some. I think you are doing the right things.

Also if degssing isn't helping, degass it some more. I realized the importance when I switched from doing my primary in a carboy to a bucket. In a carboy, I was religious about multiple degassings per day the first week and had little effect. In a bucket, with all of that evaporative surface area, degassing takes less time and is far more effective. It is the unsung hero of the home winemaker and mazer.

I would like to give the yeasties some potassium to help them along the way as well.
Indeed I've added Potessium Bicarbonate at the beginning as the recipe suggests, thanks!

I'm going to degass more frequently and stronger than before and let you know :)

Thanks a lot!

If you're just looking to clarify the ferments you could cold crash them over night which should greatly increase flocculation.
I forgot to tell that I've alerady cold crashed them :/
Do you think that I could repeat it again?

Were these melomels? If you had them in a fridge at just above freezing for at least 8hrs I'm not sure more time will help in there. You could try some clarifiers like Sparkiloid or bentonite.

Were these melomels? If you had them in a fridge at just above freezing for at least 8hrs I'm not sure more time will help in there. You could try some clarifiers like Sparkiloid or bentonite.
These are show meads with no spices or fruits added.
Mh...I did the cold crash in the fridge and not in the freezer: should I put them in the freezer just above freezing?
The bentonite is a good advice and I'm going to use it if the situation won't improve.

no, don't use the freezer. My fridge is set to 37F so your mileage may vary. Point is if you did that over night at anything below 50F (sorry, American) then it should have done whatever it was going to do. When using clarifiers keep in mind that I believe 1 of those attracts negative particles and the other positive, though I don't know which is which off the top of my head. So if 1 doesn't work, the other will.

Unfortunately, after 10 days the bentonite didn't do the job :/
That has never happend in my mead-life!
The good thing is that the the 3 months old BOMM (the first one) is more clear than the second that's 4 month old so something happened during the process but everything was under control during the process...

Unfortunately, after 10 days the bentonite didn't do the job :/
That has never happend in my mead-life!
The good thing is that the the 3 months old BOMM (the first one) is more clear than the second that's 4 month old so something happened during the process but everything was under control during the process...

Bentonite removes some, but if you want to really clear it up use Sparkoloid or Super Kleer (Clear?) Sp. They both work very well. The Super Kleer is 2 easy steps in a couple of packages and works well with little fuss. Huge improvement overnight that just gets better within a week. The Sparkoloid is a pain, and every site you go to will have different instructions on boiling times, but it gets the job done faster, and more clearly in my opinion; just the sediment doesn't compact so you will waste some product when you rack. In any case, using either of those will work better than the bentonite alone. Prepare yourself to be amazed.

UPDATE
I tried both bentonite and Super Kleer. The last one worked well but the mead hasn't clarified completely.
My conclusion is that there's something in the honey that makes my mead slightly murky.

Back