Boiling with a mesh basket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
I’m thinking about getting a large mesh basket for straining boil hops. Conceptualy, I’m not a fan of the typical hop strainer. Even the biggest of those seem a bit small for a heavily hopped IPA, and in any case, I’d prefer to let my hops have the full kettle to roll around in. I’d like to get one of those mesh strainers that is designed for mashing. Those tend to have legs that get them up off the bottom of the kettle. Since they’re designed for mashing, they also tend to have reinforcements along the bottom. That fits my purposes, whereas I use an immersion chiller; what I want is a mesh strainer that fits within the edges of my kettle and is big enough that I can put my immersion chiller inside the mesh for the last part of the boil.

A) Does anyone else already do this and have some experience to share?

B) Is there any chance this can mess with the boil? I don’t expect so, but would be curious to confirm with someone who uses a setup like this.

Brew on.

Back