Boil size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traz1986

Reaction score
I'm giving the 5 gallon batch of Centenial Blonde a go tonight.

Quick question. I have a 6 gallon pot. How much water should I start out with? I'm not comprehending the boil size vs. batch size. Would I always add water to equal the batch size at the end of the boil?

I was thinking 4 gallons for the initial mash, and add another 2 gallons of 150 degree water during the modified fly Sparge.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks, Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
I’ve been tweaking a house ale recipe for a few months now and this is it. This is the recipe that will be a permanent fixture at my house. I’ve brewed it twice, served the first 10 gallons to friends, families and “curious on-lookers”, and just finished the second 10 gallon batch with identical results.

Light and crisp. The IBU’s are on the low side, but there is a nice sweet/spicy balance to the beer. The great fresh taste of a craft ale with an extremely clean finish. This reminds me of what a local craft brewery might come out of the gates with to win over a new market. Very drinkable with wide appeal. I’ve yet to have anyone, even BMC drinkers not say it’s one of the best beers they’ve tasted….period. The secret lies in the name. I moved through Northern Brewer, Nugget and Pearle hops, all in combination with Cascade. Even went with a strict Cascade hop bill, but was just a bit on the tart side for this lighter grain bill.

Once I matched up Centennial as the bittering hop and Cascade as a flavor/aroma hop…that’s when the magic happened.

This is also a simple, hard to screw up recipe. At just around 4%, this is a quaffer. Due to the lighter grain bill…this is easily a beer that can go from grain to glass in 2 weeks (if you keg).

Attachment 3114

****5 Gallon Batch****

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) (Hydrated)

Mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes.

Most all grain brewers plan the preboil volume so that they don't have to top off at the end of the boil, instead using sparge water to make up that difference and get a little extra efficiency out of it. It sounds like you have a kettle size restriction though as you're not going to be able to boil the typical 6.5- 7 gal to get 5.5 post boil. You could keep back a little sparge and add as you go, or just plan from the outset for say 4-4.5 gal post boil then top off to 5.5 gal. Since it's a low gravity beer that shouldn't be a problem. You'll likely have trouble with higher gravity brews though as you will eventually max out your efficiency with the reduced boil volume.

I have a 5 gallon pot and a 5 gallon mash tun, make 5. 25 gallon batches. What I do is(using beersmith) figuring out my mash water volume(1.25 qt water per pound of grain). I drain the mash tun and run the wort, then batch sparge to 4 gallons for the boil. Usually boils down to 3.5 gallon with a 60 minute boil, then top off fermenter to 5.25 gallon mark. pitch yeast.

Back