Boil Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtrfwlnut

Reaction score
Hey HBT,

I'm a brand new home brewer. I brewed my first beer (I hope it's beer when it's done) a few weeks back and am about halfway through my second week of bottle fermenting. I bought a Pilsner kit from my LHBS and have since learned that it probably wasn't the best choice for my first. Ferm temp is apparently a big deal with Lagers I'm learning....I used a water bath and some ice bottles during primary fermentation and I'm hoping for the best.

Since then, I have assumed that I will love home brewing and bought/ commandeered quite a few items to help move ahead in the natural progression of home brewing (or so it seems). I started with a HB kit from someone online for the essentials. That kit included an Aluminum boil kettle, roughly 8 gallons in size. The LHBS expressed concern with the Alum and advised to boil it for about 30 mins before I started to try to make/boil wort in it. Sanitizing reasons apparently...

Since then I learned that Aluminum is nothing to be scared of if you handle/clean/sanitize it properly.

With that said, it looks like most advanced home brewers use stainless. So, I bought a used 30qt Polarware Economy SS Brew Kettle. Now I have read more and shopped kettles and find that first of all, larger capacity can be more user friendly (10 gal kettle for 5 gal batches). Secondly, it seems like the tri-clad (thinker SS bottom that seems to sandwich a layer of aluminum for uniform heating) triple layer bottom is more desirable.

So, I'm looking for a great deal on a good kettle and would like to know what more experienced folks would recommend for economic pricing and a quality SS tri-clad, 10 gallon kettle with ball valve and thermometer.

I think I'm having as much fun buying the equipment as I am brewing...but I'm am watching funds so looking for deals

Thanks for any help!

(P.S. - I think I found a good deal at Concordkettles.com with a discount)

Another good one is Bayou Classic. I've got their 82 quart (20 gallon) and I definitely like it. In fact looking to get another one for my HLT.

These get great reviews and are priced real good and as soon as I can squirrel a little away I am ordering a 15 gallon pot. http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/kettles

I really like their stuff, but I feel like the welded fittings on the Concord 40qt just adds a sanitary angle.. Nowhere for contaminants to hide with welded fittings IMO

With free shipping the SS Brew Tech 10 gal is a nice kettle though

Back