American IPA Bog Fiend India Pale Ale (a Chillwave Inspired IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowden

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
US-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks - 68 degrees
Additional Fermentation
5 days dry hop in primary
Tasting Notes
Good aroma, nice citrus and fruity nose. Ever so slightly sweet on palate.
Bog Fiend IPA

Background: One of the perks of living in Northeast Ohio (besides the lovely weather…ha!) is the plethora of quality breweries and brewpubs in the Greater Cleveland/Akron area. These companies produce many outstanding IPAs and Imperial IPAs, including Great Lakes Brewing Co.’s Chillwave, Fat Head’s Head Hunter, Brew Kettle’s White Rajah, and Hoppin Frog’s Gangster Frog, among others. My personal favorite is GLBC’s Chillwave Double IPA, which is their late winter/early spring seasonal. It is sold in 4-packs, which is a good thing since it is a deceptively easy drinker, despite clocking in at 9.4% ABV!

Bog Fiend IPA is my attempt to recreate a lower ABV IPA version of Chillwave that mimics the spirit and essence of its ingredients and flavors without being an outright Chillwave clone. I have been thoroughly amazed with the results with this beer; when I tasted my first gravity sample, I had one of those, “Holy crap, I made this?!?” moments.

If you like tropical and citrus aroma and flavors, with a nice malt backbone to balance things out, then give this recipe a whirl!

The Name: I spend many a day trudging around wetlands and swamps for my job. Although common in more northern climes, bogs are a rare type of wetland in Ohio with many of the largest and highest quality examples protected in parks or nature preserves. They regularly harbor threatened and endangered species of plants due to their unique hydrology and soils. This name is a tribute to these cool natural areas!

Without further adieu…

Bog Fiend IPA
Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.116
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.063
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 6.75%
IBU (tinseth): 44.51
SRM (morey): 7.17

FERMENTABLES:
7 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light (80%)
1 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (11.4%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (5.7%)
0.25 lb - Canadian - Honey Malt (2.9%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 25.68
0.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.1, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 3.35
0.5 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.6, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 5.48
0.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.1, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 2.45
0.5 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.6, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 4
0.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.1, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 1.35
0.5 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.6, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 2.2
0.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.1, Use: Boil for 0 min
0.5 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.6, Use: Boil for 0 min
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.1, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.6, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Whirfloc Tab, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

FERMENTATION AND BOTTLING
-2 weeks at 68 degrees in primary.
-5 days dry hop in primary.
-bottle with 4 oz priming sugar.

Recipe Notes
Steep specialty grains at 150 degrees for 30 min. Add 4 lbs DME at beginning of boil, with remaining 3 lbs DME and 1 lb corn sugar at end of boil. I did a 3 gallon boil for this batch using city tap water (it is sourced from deep sandstone wells) and topped up to 5.5 gallons with refrigerated bottled spring water in the fermentor. I cool with an ice bath in my sink, so I probably had some utilization of the late hop additions during the initial chilling of the wort when temperatures were still high enough to cause isomerization of the alpha acids.

I ferment in my basement, with ambient temperature varying from 66-68 degrees; the strip thermometer on the side of the bucket was at 68 degrees during most observations, except in the first few days of fermentation when it peaked around 70-71 degrees. Ferment in primary for two weeks, then dry hop in primary with 1 oz each of Cascade and Mosaic for 5 days.

This batch fermented out to a nice dryness, with attenuation hitting approximately 81%. I cracked open the first bottle after one week (couldn't resist!), and was not disappointed!

Boil Size and Hop Utilization Notes PLEASE READ
This batch was done with a partial boil, and had lower ultimate hop utilization due to topping up with water in the fermentor. As such, if you are able to do full boils, the hop schedule will need to be adjusted appropriately to obtain the same bitterness levels.

All Grain Notes
Substitute 13.3 lbs 2-row pale malt for the dry malt extract. Keep other fermentables/specialty grains the same. See notes about attenuation and hop utilization above – mash temperatures may need to be lower to achieve higher attenuation (sorry I cannot provide more concrete info on this – SWMBO hasn’t let me buy the equipment to graduate to all grain…yet!) and the hops will need to be dialed back to obtain similar bitterness.

_1050533.jpg

Quick update for everyone. Took some Bog Fiend in to my LHBS and gave some samples to the guys who were working. They both said it tasted great, with one commenting that it reminded him of Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Extra IPA (not the beer I was mimicking, but a nice compliment nonetheless!).

Gave bottles out to several co-workers today as well. I will report back once I hear back from them!

Ooh, this sounds great! I really enjoyed Chillwave when it was available earlier this year. Now I just need to get my hands on some Mosaic hops... which may be the trickiest part of this!

Hey QuercusMax - my LHBS is Label Peelers in Kent and they definitely have Mosaic (in case there isn't anything closer for you that stocks it). It wouldn't be too bad of a drive from Twinsburg, just down 480 to 14, then 43. Probably take you about 20 minutes or so.

Got some feedback from my beer connoisseur co-workers.

"Wow. This beer is so so perfect right now. I love how floral it is - and I'm not normally big into ipa's!"

"I LOVED it. It was an easy drinker that wasn't too bitter. My daughter tried it too and really enjoyed it."

Was planning on giving a few more out this week, but I am enjoying it so much that I might just hoard it for myself!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406149623.633524.jpgMmmm, lacing.

Also, shout out to Hoppin' Frog in Akron - love that place!

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I bottled my first batch of this a couple of weeks ago and I'm really impressed. I followed the extract recipe above exactly and I'm not sure I'd change anything about it.
I'll be brewing it all grain next time and I'm really looking forward to it.

Latest posts

Back