Cream Ale blue corn cream ale, with easy cereal mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philrose

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
White Labs 090 San Diego Super
Yeast Starter
yup, per mrmalty\\'s calculator
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Gold with Pink/purple hues. Very unique.
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 63 degrees F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
nope
Tasting Notes
Fruit/berry comes through the whole way from just the one hop addition, very cool.
Pics or it didn't happen

Fermentables and Mash

• 65% base malt (12.25 lbs)
• 20% Blue Cornmeal (4 lbs)
• 15% six-row malt (3 lbs)

Disclaimer- If you've needed rice hulls in the past, this beer won't be an exception. The cereal mash gets sticky!

Easy cereal mash- I'm not sure it this is the best way, but it's how I do things.

1. take a gallon of your strike water and heat it until it boils on the stove
  2. remove from heat and thoroughly whisk in the blue corn meal
  3. simmer until you hit a hot cereal/oatmeal/cooked consistency
  4. Allow to cool to 160 degrees F
  5. mix in all the six row malt and hold at temperature while you heat the main mash strike water
  6. dough in the main mash of the two-row malt
  7. add the cereal mash to your tun and continue as usual with the brewday, your combined mash temp should be 150 degrees F

Boil
12.5 gallons of 1.042 wort.

60 min hop addition- 1 ounce of belma at 10.6% AA

Belma is my favorite hop for blonde and Cream ale. Fruit character comes through the whole way from just the one addition, very cool. I also think that huell melon could be good, or NZ/AUS hops with a fruit character.

This beer is a true joy to both make and drink. the wort is an intense ruby red grapefruit pink color that fades to a cool gold with purple highlights over the course of fermentation. If you don't look for the color, you don't notice it but when I tell people to look for blue, its like its all they can see.

Here's a recipe for those interested. It is a favorite of mine and I'm happy to share it with y'all.

(copied from my reddit thread)

I was just thinking about trying something like this. I'm going to keep this in mind for an upcoming brew. Thanks for posting!

Back