Blowoff tube failure rate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonshae

Reaction score
I used a blowoff tube for the first time this weekend, and it got clogged and blew off. What a mess, it went straight up to the ceiling. I caught it relatively quickly after it happened, but didn't hear it happen.

So my question is, how often do blowoff tubes get clogged? I think I'd be more partial to slower, longer fermentation times if this is going to be a regular happening.

I had the same thing happen this last weekend, lol. It seems to clog quite easily with the 3/8" tubing. Really should use the 1" tubing for blow-off. That won't get plugged even if a whole hop gets into it.

What do you stick the tubing into, then? Right into the neck of the carboy, and skip the bung altogether?

With glass carboys you can buy a standard diameter of vinyl tubing (don't remember what size...) that fits snugly into the neck. With better bottles and such, you may not be so lucky... I know some people have drilled out rubber stoppers to fit a much larger size of tubing, and there are some places that sell stoppers drilled this way.

If you guys are using carboys or even fermenter what size are you using? Are you single or dual fermenting? I'm using a 6 gallon carboy with an airlock for primary fermentation and a 5 gallon carboy w/airlock for secondary fermentation. This seemed to be less of a hassle and slightly more money.

1.25" Od 1.00" Id
Goes right into my 5 and 6.5 gallon carboys. Bought a 3 foot section at lowes for about a buck a foot if I remember correctly

Bob8690 said:
If you guys are using carboys or even fermenter what size are you using? Are you single or dual fermenting? I'm using a 6 gallon carboy with an airlock for primary fermentation and a 5 gallon carboy w/airlock for secondary fermentation. This seemed to be less of a hassle and slightly more money.

I had been using an airlock in a 6 gal carboy for primary, 5 gal for secondary. But I tried reusing yeast, and got a more vigorous fermentation...I was prepared with a blowoff tube, that worked for a while then got jammed.

I will have to go with the 1" tubing...I have some floating around.

Bob8690 said:
I'm making my first batch so I wasn't sure why you chose the blowoff tube over an oversized carboy with an airlock vice the blowoff tube. Using the yeast you mentioned, would that get up into the airlock? Thanks man.

Bob

If you brew standard strength beers and pitch the appropriate amount of yeast and ferment in the 60's you will usually be OK with an airlock. Big beers, lots of yeast and/or warm fermentation temperatures are a recipe for overflowing even an oversized carboy. Oh, I forgot to mention wheat beers...:D

GT

Back