Blown airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engybingy

Reaction score
Hey all. So I am new to brewing. I just found out my airlock blew off. I am away on a business trip. Seems like the bubbler popped off around 48 hours after transfer to the fermenter. I am using food grade plastic buckets, and apparently the lid is on, the only exposed bit is the nickel sized hole on the top of the bucket. It has been open for roughly 3 days tho. Has anyone gone this long with it exposed? I heard it should be fine.

Also, i was told that there was foam bubbling out of the top. Sounds to me like I have plenty of CO2 in this thing and that makes me feel like I should be fine. However, nothing has been cleaned at this point. Would love to hear all your thoughts. Thanks!

It should be fine, as you point out the CO2 is likely blanketing the top. Have someone rig up a blow off tube.

The peak of the fermentation that produced the blowout has probably passed. Clean and sanitize an airlock and put it back in, you'll be fine. I've done this several times with no ill effects.

Back